• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Fast and Easy Artisan Breads" by Judith Fertig

LRunkle

I recently purchased "200 Fast and Easy Artisan Breads:No knead, one bowl" by Judith Fertig.

I have never baked much before but have been pleased with the results of the author's basic dough recipe. I have made small boules and regular sized boules but I would like to create a loaf so I can have some uniform slices for sandwiches,etc. Can I just plop this dough into a suitable sized loaf pan and put it in the oven and monitor thhe bread temperature. Do I put the loaf pan on a baking stone or is the really necessary? My previous baking experience is limited to cornbread and Bisquick.

I don't think that the stone would be necessary. The pan sould conduct and distribute the heat just fine, although you might try heating the pan as you preheat the oven, and then (carefully!) put the dough in the already hot pan and then back to the oven. I know that the preheat of the pan is a technique that some "no-knead" bakers in NY use, but they bake in ceramic pots as opposed to loaf pans...

I'd be curious how it turns out...I bake alot of hand shaped loaves but havent baked alot in pans.

good luck!

Over here I posted a series of photos of how I shape loaves for another no-knead bread recipe - it should also work for yours.

I understand at least part of the reason for using a stone is to suck moisture out of the dough to give a crisp crust. If you're using a loaf pan/tin the dough of course isn't touching the stone so you won't get a crispy bottom (no, not your bottom; the loaf's ...). However, a nice, heavy, hot stone does help keep the oven temperature stable when the door is opened to put your dough in.

Yet another no-knead recipe (the one referred to by GNV//PDX) uses heavy Dutch oven-type vessels for baking. These would certainly need pre-heating; a thin loaf tin probably wouldn't give you any benefit.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

• 3 weeks later...

I have newly started making bread using no knead artisanal recipes from the Judith Fertig book which is similar to the Zoie Francois method as far as I can tell. The yeast specified is bread machine yeast. Is rapid rise yeast equivalent? If not can you compensate with longer rise times?

Many marketing terms used for yeast (like "rapid rise") are pretty meaningless.

What you are looking for is a yeast that is designed for use by mixing it (dry) with (dry) flour, before adding liquid and mixing to a dough or batter.

The best way to tell is to look at the packet instructions, not the name or claims.

I'd call such yeasts "instant-mix" yeasts.

Bread-machine products are generally instant-mix.

BUT those instant mix yeasts intended for use in bread machines tend to have LOTS of additive 'improvers'.

And that's not so good for 'arisanal' baking.

If possible, select one with a very short additive list. Ascorbic Acid (or Sodium Ascorbate) is just ordinary Vitamin C - and good for you and your bread, despite the scary sound of the name. Instant mix yeasts all have a tiny proportion (way less than 1%) of a 'rehydrating agent' - usually a soap ("stearate"). Apart from those, you are into the territory of commercial food additives - which are best avoided unless you are calling your efforts 'molecular gastronomy', and charging accordingly!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan