• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Murray's Cheese Shop

Liza

Ironically, if I could eat cheese...itd be the GCT outpost thatd be a schlep. Unlike when I was a kid and my mom didnt seem to realize what The Village was aside from the clean wholesome family stuff....I did my in town hanging out with her in Midtown. Now that I know better...I avoid Midtown like oh well pick any unpleasant reference you like.

But granted the GCT Market is KICKASS!

And come to think of it I havent been to Zabars in eons for stuffed grape leaves. Time to get my shots in order and make a pilgrimage north of the 14th parallel.

im friends with amy that works at the one on bleeker. We saw each other at the italian wine tasting. She told me that the place was behind schedule and they had a one month stock of cheese that they needed to unload. Lets just say they were selling cheese cheap for a while. I guess i should have posted this earlier. :wacko:

This, I think, is why expansion of favorites is something to fear. I love Murray's and believe they have integrity, and making their product more available may seem like a plus. But suddenly, you have a new lease in a high rent area and unforeseen pressures arise. And if the new, high-rent store starts to lose, does it hurt the original? So to lessen the pain for the long-term good of the store maybe we take a shortcut, just this once...

It's a slippery slope.

Wilfrid, Grand Central thread, October 28:

"There has been a space in the food hall for some weeks, and I saw today that it's to be filled by Murray's Cheeses. Not enough space to offer the same selection as Greenwich Village, but a welcome addition. Surely."

Greetings from the cutting edge. :raz:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Murray's at GCT yesterday. So far, so good. We bought a french blue - Persille de Malzieu - tangy, complex, creamy - really terrific. And we bought a Durrus from Ireland, which is a washed-rind, sort of sweet-ish, semi-soft cheese. Lovely. We were served by a knowledgeable and friendly woman, who let us taste several things we were curious about, and I thought the prices were reasonable. Let's hope they do some business there and last a while...