• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Buttercream in chocolates

Hi:

(I'm new to these forums.)

I've eaten delicious european chocolates made with "fresh butter cream," namely by Leonidas. These are perishable chocolates (they say to eat them within two weeks), that need to be stored in the refrigerator.

What do they mean by "fresh butter cream?" Judging by the taste and the texture, they don't seem like they're made with a cooked fondant.

Is the same butter cream recipe used for chocolates that they use for cakes?

Can anyone steer me toward a recipe that might be what I'm looking for?

I'd really like to make "fresh butter cream" chocolates for an upcoming wedding.

Thanks in advance,

Janice

I believe it is pretty much the same sort of butter cream. Even the butter cream made with fondant can be very light and creamy. If you read the wiki about Leonidas - it does seem to suggest they started out using the same butter cream as used in pastry.

Hi Gap,

My thanks also for that blog. I shall root around in it for certain.

What appeals to me is keeping butter on hand, rather than whipping cream. The butter lasts much longer without freezing, and freezes well, and defrosts in the original condition as far as I can see. Whipping cream, on the other hand, keeps less long, and although it seems to freeze fine...I freeze it in 1 cup measures...definitely has a different consistency when it defrosts. Plus it won't whip properly.

Furthermore, having a supply of whipping cream around the house is 'dangerous' to the occupants :raz: , whereas butter is not.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No worries everyone :smile:

The blog is great. He has a book out as well which may be worth checking out if you are in need of a baking/pastry book (I've tried 3 or 4 recipes from his blog and they have been very solid - the dark chocolate mousse is a must-try)