• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calphalon Katana Knives

Shel_B

Today while at BB&B I saw a few Calphalon Katana knives and handled the 8" Chef's knife. I liked the way it felt and the way it looked. However, it's a new knife to me and I've no idea about the quality and how it might hold an edge. Does anyone know about this knife and have any comments about it? http://www.cookware.com/Calphalon-KN4008V-CPH1263.html

Thanks,

... Shel

I've heard VG-1 tends to chip but that could just be the Internet talking.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

VG-1 is one of the best knife steels available. But i wouldn't trust calphalon to know what to do with it. When consumer companies like them sell OEM knives, they're usually designed by marketing people to appeal to an uneducated western consumer. Generally the edge geometry is much closer to what you'd expect from a european knife, so you don't get very good performance. I'd stick with companies that actually sell knives in japan, especially ones that get respect among pro users.

By the way, VG-1 is essentially the same steel as sandvik 19C27 and Hitachi gin san ko, which are used on some of the highest performance knives made. But these companies generally ride on their own reputations, and don't make a big deal out of the steels they use.

Notes from the underbelly