• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Lunch in the New Year...

alm

I am looking for somewhere for a great, but also great value, lunch on Saturday 2nd of January.

I have often heard that la Gavroche has the best value eating experience in London for it's lunch menu, unfortunatly it is closed on a Saturday.

any other suggestions - I like French and British Food, she likes a fishy slant...

Cheers,

I am looking for somewhere for a great, but also great value, lunch on Saturday 2nd of January.

I have often heard that la Gavroche has the best value eating experience in London for it's lunch menu, unfortunatly it is closed on a Saturday.

any other suggestions - I like French and British Food, she likes a fishy slant...

Cheers,

Foliage was long quoted as best value lunch with its four courses for £28, however now that Chris Staines (where is he now) has left I can not really recommend it.

One of the problems with Saturday lunch is the fact that most of the Michelin two star places do not open, for instance my first choice, Hibiscus, Square, Alan Ducasse, Marcus Wareing, Pied a Terre.

Of the one stars I would recommend, Tom Aikins is again closed on a Saturday lunch.

Places we have been on a Saturday and can recommend are, Wild Honey, Texture, La Trompette, Ledbury, Arbutus, Harwood Arms, and Terroirs although the latter two are pretty laid back, that is not of course to say that the others are stuffy in any way.

I'm sure that there are more but can not think of them at present

Of the ones above that I have mentioned Texture with all its freebie bits and bobs(if they still do them) seems the best value for money on reflection.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Wherever you plan to go, do check in advance that they are open.

For example, I know that Hibiscus is closed from 24th December to Monday 4th January (inclusive).

You could do worse than one o one. The 50% off food from toptable and possibly squaremeal makes for good value and there are some very good fishy options. The oysters and the King crab legs were both rather good and the halibut wasn't bad either. The wine is a little expensive - if I remember correctly.

Martin

Foliage was long quoted as best value lunch with its four courses for £28, however now that Chris Staines (where is he now) has left I can not really recommend it.

One of the problems with Saturday lunch is the fact that most of the Michelin two star places do not open, for instance my first choice, Hibiscus, Square, Alan Ducasse, Marcus Wareing, Pied a Terre.

Of the one stars I would recommend, Tom Aikins is again closed on a Saturday lunch.

Places we have been on a Saturday and can recommend are, Wild Honey, Texture, La Trompette, Ledbury, Arbutus, Harwood Arms, and Terroirs although the latter two are pretty laid back, that is not of course to say that the others are stuffy in any way.

Some very good suggestions there, and yes, Saturday lunch and Sunday can be difficult. The Capital is no longer up there either: that was the most memorable Christmas Day lunch I've ever had for all the right reasons.

I can't tell whether Murano is open or shut from the online reservations (in fact, I find Ramsay's online reservations to be fairly useless at the best of times, often showing no availability online when a quick call will secure a table). Also they're banging on about a "festive" menu: by January 2, that would be the last thing I'd want.

I did a chefs table at Claridges a few years ago on 2 January. Trouble was that they seemed to be running on what could best be described as "agency staff": service was even less in tune than it usually is there.

Helene Darroze at the Connaught does brunch on Saturdays, never had it myself. To be honest, I didn't think Darroze was value for money if you drink anything other than tap water. A bit like a mini-Ducasse in that sense.

Cheers, Howard

Wherever you plan to go, do check in advance that they are open.

For example, I know that Hibiscus is closed from 24th December to Monday 4th January (inclusive).

It is, but I know that they are now open for lunch on a Saturday as of the new year- I think. Best to give them a ring if you fancy it.