• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salmon Pie

LizD518

One of my favorite winter meals growing up was my Mom's Salmon Pie. Our family is French Canadien, and my grandparents are both first generation American with strong ties back to Quebec. From what I uinderstand, salmon pie is either a French Canadien dish or an old Yankee dish that you might find in New England diners. Either way, I loved it.

I need to get my Mom's specific recipe, but it was basically leftover mashed potatoes and canned salmon in a pie crust, sometimes served with a bechamel sauce with peas in it. I am thinking I will make it with poached salmon instead, but otherwise it is good as-is. Does anyoneelse make this dish and if so, are there any variations I should think about?

My mom always made a salmon loaf for Good Friday.

Unbelieveably, about three years ago, I decided I wanted to eat this again. I say unbelieveably, because canned salmon meant tiny spinal cords.

I made the one from Joy of Cooking and I made a Marion Cunningham version. Mind you, this is not mashed potatoes, which I think I would prefer, but I liked it and I'd definitely do it again. The binding was bread crumbs. Basically a meat loaf with salmon.

Peas are very important. And salt.

Lynn Rosetto Kasper does a nice riff on meat loaf and variations on the ingredients and this fits in.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.