• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Rum, finally....

sealman

I stopped by the largest store in town today and was pleasantly suprised to find a pretty darn good selection!

I had made up a list of "Rums to buy" several days earlier since I am still a relative newby to fine Rum :smile: Of course I didn't have it with me but was able to remember several that were on the list.

Anyway I picked up a bottle of Cruzan Single Barrel (32.79) and Barbancourt 15YO (40.79). I was wondering how those prices are compared to the lower 48 or anywhere else for that matter?

Unfortunately I won't be able to sample them until friday or saturday at the earliest due to my work schedule :wacko:

BTW I never posted a "new member" post when I signed up here. So consider this my coming out post :laugh:

Well I opened up the Cruzan today and had a glass of it neat. It is very tasty and goes down quite easily. Hehe not exactly a glowing review but I am half asleep as it is so that is about all I can come up with at the moment.

BTW this brings up another question. I saw a thread about a week ago as I went through ALL the threads How long will an opened bottle keep before becoming for lack of a better word stale. Well I can't seem to find the thread now and was wondering what everyones thoughts on that is???

Thanks

Yes, Cruzan Single Barrel is a real treat. I've only poured it from my treasured bottle a couple of times, but I do have to say that I like it. Very different from what I expected, but very good!

I for one have been asking questions about the possibility of my rums getting 'stale', but there doesn't seem to be a definite answer to that. I think you shoudn't have any problems if you devour the good stuff within a few months from opening the bottle, but I haven't experienced with it enough to say for sure.

Well I will say that I preferred the Cruzan 15yo over the Coyopa. Tough there is a lot going on in a drink of the Coyopa. It has a very nice initial flavor, but it sure does finish with a kick! For my rookie tastebuds it has a little too much kick when drinking it neat unlike the Cruzan or the Pampero which is much smoother. I will have to try it with a single ice cube and/or with a splash of water next time.

I think I will have to pick up another bottle (maybe more:) ) of the Cruzan before it is gone from the store.