• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality vs. Conscience

brandonscott

I was recently reading on cookingissues.com about a method of butchering fish called "ike jime". It is a japanese method where the fish is slaughtered and bled in such a way that the muscles "don't know they are dead" and makes for a much better product. This all has to with the various stages of rigor mortis and energy stored within the fish. (search the website for ike jime to read more, its very interesting) The most basic explanation is that the less a fish struggles, the better the fish in taste and texture. Which brings me to my question....Wanting to be as eco-conscious as possible, yet still get the best product, when faced with purchasing line caught vs mass farmed tuna. Now, I know the line caught tuna is the sustainable choice...but would it not have put up quit a fight, making the pin farmed tuna a superior product? In other tests I have read there is a huge differene in quality when comparing stressed and non-stressed fish (google it). Just curious, what do you think?