• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Cereal Bars

Aember

Organic Cereal Bars

Serves 12.

These are similar to the Honey Nut Cheerios Bars, only better! I also made these with Envirokids' Koala Crisp Cereal, which is like organic Cocoa Krispies. :-) I used brown rice syrup, which has a lower glycemic index than corn syrup because it has some glucose that's absorbed quickly, followed by a much slower & sustained absorption of complex carbs. My kids tend to get hypoglycemic easily & this has enough protein, fat, & complex carb to keep their energy up & not give them a crash. They are very easy & something you can throw together the night before for a class snack or bake sale. You need a pot, a heat-safe spoon, a big bowl to mix in, & a ~9x13" pan. And I line my pan with unbleached parchment paper for ease of release. I have been freezing them after cutting so they can be popped right out for a quick fresh breakfast before or on the way to school. They thaw pretty fast at room temp but keep their shape. My kids love these as after-school snacks too!

The recipe for the bars is based on one on Cooks.com, modified for ingredients & amounts. The recipe for the milk icing is modified for ingredients & amounts from recipe #38630 on Recipezaar.com.

I think vegans would be perfectly happy without the milk icing, or maybe could make it with powdered soy milk & soy margarine (or a similar vegan alternative). I might experiment with less butter for an icing that sets up harder without refrigeration. Or maybe just a simple royal icing drizzled over the bars after cutting. I have not tried that. The bars alone are awesome anyway.

Cereal Bars:

1 c organic brown rice syrup

1/2 c organic raw sugar (for bars)

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 c organic peanut butter

6 c organic plain oat "O"s cereal, OR

7 c organic cocoa rice crisps cereal (one 11.5 oz box)

Milk Icing:

1/2 c organic raw sugar (for icing)

1/4 c organic butter

1/2 c natural powdered nonfat milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

1-2 TBSP hot tap water

Heat the 3/4 c sugar, vanilla, salt, and syrup in a pot over medium heat until boiling and sugar is well combined, not crystalline. Remove from heat and stir the peanut butter in, stirring until it has melted in & the mixture is smooth but not too cool or becoming thicker.

While the syrup mixture is heating, have the cereal ready in a large bowl. It may help to oil your hands with a little vegetable oil to help keep the cereal mixture from sticking to you. When the syrup mixture is smooth, pour it over the cereal in the bowl & quickly fold all the cereal until it is evenly coated (it will clump). Pack this firmly and evenly into a parchment-lined pan approximately 9 x 13 inches, making sure to get into the corners. Cool for 30 minutes.

While the bars are cooling, cream together the butter & sugar reserved for the icing until smooth using a mixer. Add dry milk slowly to combine. Add water until easy to spread. Spread on the cooled cereal bars & refrigerate 15 minutes before cutting into about 12-16 bars.

Keywords: Breakfast, Vegetarian, Snack, Brownies/Bars, Dessert, American, Easy, Healthy Choices

( RG2143 )