• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reinvented Chocolate Pudding Cake

Kerry Beal

Reinvented Chocolate Pudding Cake

Serves 4 as Dessert.

Remember that great chocolate dessert you had as a child that when baked separated into a chocolatey cake layer with a pudding layer underneath? Tasting my mothers recipe for chocolate pudding cake after so many years, I discovered that with age related taste bud changes it was a bit watery and anemic. So I fiddled a bit by adding the bittersweet chocolate (hers only had cocoa), changed some of the milk to yogurt to get a bit more fullness in the cake part, cut the sugar way back, added expresso powder and mocca compound to round out the flavour and voila reinvented chocolate pudding cake!

Mocha compound is a flavouring used by pastry chefs and chocolatiers. At home you can replace it with some expresso powder.

Cake

• 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
  • 1 oz softened butter
  • 1/2 c toasted pecans
  • 2 T natural cocoa powder (not dutch processed)
  • 1 c all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 c sugar
  • 1/2 c plain yogurt
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1 T mocha compound(or 1 tsp expresso powder)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Topping

• 4 T cocoa
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1 T instant expresso
  • 1 T mocha compound (optional)
  • 2 c boiling water

Mix together the cake ingredients in a bowl and place in 8 or 9 inch cake pan (I prefer pyrex). Sprinkle over the topping mixture, then pour over boiling water. Do not mix.

Bake at 325 F for about 30 minutes.

Keywords: Dessert, American, Chocolate, Easy, Pudding

( RG1659 )