• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toast Boxes

srhcb

Toast Boxes

My Mother used to occasionally make these for my Brother, Sister and I when we were little.

Bread, store bought white - 1 slice/person

Butter, enough for number of slices

Toast Bread, medium to well done works best

Butter Bread

Cut Toasted Bread into 16 pieces a bit larger than 3/4" square. You should end up with four crustless interior squares, eight four-sided pieces with crust on one edge and two pieces with crust on two adjacent edges, and two three-sided pieces with two straight sides and one curved crusted edge each

Reassemble the pieces in the shape of the original slice, and serve on a small plate with a fork

For some reason we considered these to be a special treat, perhaps because eating toast with a fork seemed rather exotic.

PS: Toast Boxes also make an excellent base for hot beef or hot turkey sandwiches.

Keywords: Side, Easy

( RG1618 )