• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Risotto

maggiethecat

Green Risotto

Serves 4 as Side.

This beautifully green risotoo is my variation on Edda Servi Machlin's Green Risotto from Classic Italian Jewish Cooking.She uses celery, and I don't. I like a grating of nutmeg, and I sometimes use chicken stock to top up the spinach juuce instead od plain water. The parm is my addition, as well.

• 1 lb spinach, stemmed and washed.
  • 1 tsp salt
  • several grinds black pepper
  • hot water
  • 1-1/2 c Arborio rice
  • 2 chopped scallions
  • c olive oil
  • 4 oz grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 T butter

Chop the spinach very fine -- I use the food processor. Strain the juice into a large measuring cup, pressing down on the spinach to extract as much liquid as possible.

Heat the olive oil in a 2 quart saucepan with a lid. Sautee the spinach and scallions for about two minutes.

Add salt and pepper.

Top up the spinach juice with water or stock until you have 2 cups. Add this and the rice to the pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for about 15 minutes.

When the rice is cooked, add the butter and the cheese. Stir to combine.

Keywords: Side, Vegetarian, Easy, Rice, Italian, Jewish

( RG1388 )

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com