• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clara’s Brownies (aka Texas Brownies)

Toliver

Clara’s Brownies (aka Texas Brownies)

got my Mom to give me the recipe of her version of the Texas Brownies. It has an icing you put on while the "brownies" are still hot. It's very cake-like and not at all like a normal brownie. The "Clara" in the recipe title is a friend of the family. Feel free to call it what you want.

• 2 c AP flour
  • 2 c granulated white sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 c (2 cubes) butter
  • 4 T cocoa
  • 1 c water
  • 1/2 c buttermilk (can substitute ½ cup milk with a capful of cider vinegar)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Icing:

• 1/2 c butter (1 cube)
  • 4 T Cocoa
  • 6 T Milk
  • 1 box of powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans), chop til chunky...not fine.

Sift flour, sugar & salt into a large bowl.

In a saucepan, combine cocoa, butter and water and bring to a boil. Once to the boil, pour over flour mixture and blend thoroughly.

Add buttermilk and baking soda. Mix well.

Add slightly beaten eggs and vanilla. Mix well.

The batter will be “soupy”. Pour into a greased (but not floured) 13x9 cake pan and bake about 20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.

When you take the brownies out of the oven, start the icing. The hot icing will be poured onto the cooling-but -still-warm brownies.

Icing

Combine first three ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

Remove from heat and add last three ingredients. Mix well and pour over hot brownies. Spread hot icing evenly over hot brownies.

Let cool completely. Serve with homemade vanilla ice cream.

There's nothing like taking a bite of this frosted brownie and getting a big chunk of walnut in the icing.

edited for clarity

Keywords: Dessert, Brownies/Bars

( RG1048 )

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver