• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant reviews that get servers fired

beachcove

This is the second time I've noticed this situation lately. Check out the next-to-last graf in the review below:

http://entertainment.mainetoday.com/dining/lunch.shtml

Also, saw a letter in the Record recently claiming that 2 servers at the Stony Hill Inn were fired due to a Record review. Lemme go see if I can find a link.

Here:

http://www.northjersey.com/cgi-bin/page.pl?id=5485869

From the Maine Today review.

One note to our server: Try a quick shower and the judicious use of deodorant before beginning your shift.

What a mean spirited asshole! Not to worry though, with that style, she'll be writing reviews for the local shopper for the rest of her *un*professional career.

The Record? I kind of thought that this one was fair. I remember this one and I don't recall anything gratuitous.

Link to Stony Hill Inn Review

I don't generally like Rene Mack's style and while *yes*, there does tend to be a bit of meaness in his writing, ; I don't really get that here. The waiters may have been fired but not from any agenda on Mr. Mack's part. Look to the manager or owner for an offending party. In this case blaming the critic is unfair IMO.

Nick

how does management know which server served the critic? oh wait, i suppose they just pick on the smelliest most disgusting one hoping he's the one. so where's the problem?

do we really have a problem with servers being let go who have so little respect for their employer, customers, or to some extent themselves, that they don't come to work in a presentable manner?

Difficult situation.

I think there's an appropriate way to note a server's unfamiliarity with menu items, who gets what, attending tables, personal hygiene etc. These are elements under the server's control.

Other things, like a slow kitchen, poor plating, understaffing, aren't the server's fault. Management should be aware of obvious things (sanitation, hair nets in preparation areas) and significant odor on servers is definitely one of these.

BTW, we stopped by the Outback in Wayne NJ the other night, which was half full, but had a line of waiting folks. Turned out they were shorthanded, and intentionally restricted tables to assure they could serve the people who were actually seated. That's prob the third time I've observed the practice recently.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

BTW, we stopped by the Outback in Wayne NJ the other night, which was half full, but had a line of waiting folks. Turned out they were shorthanded, and intentionally restricted tables to assure they could serve the people who were actually seated. That's prob the third time I've observed the practice recently.

Sure Paul, but this goes on all the time. I explain this all the time to my wife..."look the dining room is half empty, why can't we be seated?"

"Because the evening staff hasn't fully shifted in yet. They won't be able to service us." I think it's smart.

Nick

I think we're in agreement, Nick.

I should have been more explicit that I thought this was a good idea. I think this could also be an indication that servers are doing well, and can take a day now and then without fear of losing employment...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

how does management know which server served the critic?  oh wait, i suppose they just pick on the smelliest most disgusting one hoping he's the one.  so where's the problem?

do we really have a problem with servers being let go who have so little respect for their employer, customers, or to some extent themselves,  that they don't come to work in a presentable manner?

There isn't a problem. Something along the lines of "Poor service and untidy waitstaff" would suffice.

Sheesh Tommy, this is aprofessional restaurant critic, not you or I posting on eGullet. :rolleyes::blink::smile:

Nick

Sheesh Tommy, this is aprofessional restaurant critic, not you or I posting on eGullet.  :rolleyes:  :blink:  :smile:

that's a pretty broad brush, "professional critic." i know nothing of this woman's writing style. perhaps she is known to be a bit irreverent, and that's her "shtick." if so, then is it OK? are we expecting all reviewers to to middle-of-the-road common-denominator type writers? i hope not. that would be painfully boring.

...do we really have a problem with servers being let go who have so little respect for their employer, customers, or to some extent themselves,  that they don't come to work in a presentable manner?

Sorry, Tommy -- I agree with you. Floor staff should be clean, neat, properly dressed, etc. before interacting with the public. HOWEVER ...

In both instances I wonder: why didn't management do their proper job of training the staff, and checking them before service? If a diner (critic or not) could notice the smelly waiter, why didn't a supervisor explain that s/he had better (literally) clean up his/her act? If this situation was the first occurrence, management abdicated its responsibility by not training the waiter. If it was not, management still didn't do their job properly, because the waiter should not have even been on the floor (although firing might have been appropriate). In any case, management should never have allowed that waiter on the floor, and management failed just as much as the waiter.

The Stony Hill incident also points to poor training and supervision. If I were the owner, I would not allow my managers to be so lax in carrying out their training and supervision duties.

i don't think it is clear that the smelly one was fired. and we certainly don't know if he/she was fired because he/she was smelly. it's all speculation. one thing seems for sure, he/she smelled and the critic said as much. now if we have a problem with the critic's word choice, then we have a discussion. anything beyond that is purely an exercise in typing.

i don't think it is clear that the smelly one was fired.  and we certainly don't know if he/she was fired because he/she was smelly.  it's all speculation.  one thing seems for sure, he/she smelled and the critic said as much.  now if we have a problem with the critic's word choice, then we have a discussion.  anything beyond that is purely an exercise in typing.

You're quite right. It is *not* clear in the first one.

Yes, I have a problem with the critics word choice. (within the context of the review)

Typing exercise? easy for you to say given the number of Tommy posts :raz:. The rest of us probably could use some. My fingers are getting a bit flabby. :wink:

Yes Suzanne: I agree. All failures are failures of management. I am one and I live my professional life by it.

Nick

Shortly after my very first review appeared (many years ago) in the paper, our server was fired. I had written about a serious service issue-- one which was a reflection of poor management, not a fault of the server's. She'd been sent home at the end of her shift, prior to our getting the bill. When we were ready to leave, it took over 45 minutes to get our check.

When I heard she'd been fired, I thought I'd never write a review again. (And some on the NJ thread may wish it were so!). It was an early, valuable, and unfortunate way for me to learn that what we write as reviewers may have a dramatic impact on lives.

On the other hand, we are responsible to our readers to report on our experiences. As a reader, you should know that my server in this elegant restaurant clunked my plate down, snapped his gum while reciting the specials, wiped his nose on his sleeve (a few of my favorites)...and that this is a matter of poor training. But not every sentence about the service will include a reminder that the server was poorly trained.

Yes, as Rail Paul points out, the server has some responsibility for his or her actions...but as Nick agrees, the ultimate responsibility is with restaurant management.

It is my opinion that after reading a good review, I can (to some extent) envision the physical space, sense the ambiance, anticipate the level of service and taste the food. I believe--and my opinions are only my own-- that every sentence in a review should work towards those goals.

One last logistical point: Sometimes, after a restaurant has been reviewed, management will try to figure out which night the reviewer was in, based on the dishes described, etc. Once they figure that out, and thus know who served the table, they have a scapegoat. They can also prove their willingness to correct mistakes by stating, "We fired the kitchen staff!! We rid ourselves of the poorly trained waiter!! Come back and see how much better we are now!!"

Shortly after my very first review appeared (many years ago) in the paper, our server was fired. I had written about a serious service issue-- one which was a reflection of poor management, not a fault of the server's. She'd been sent home at the end of her shift, prior to our getting the bill. When we were ready to leave, it took over 45 minutes to get our check.

How annoying is it when you have a server change smack dab in the middle of your meal?

If there is the remote possibility that you may not be able to serve a table throughout their entire meal then you shouldn't take the table.

I guess the only remedy is not to dine at a restaurant during a shift change (late lunch/early dinner/late dinner), but I shouldn't have to worry about this.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

Other things, like a slow kitchen, poor plating, understaffing, aren't the server's fault. Management should be aware of obvious things (sanitation, hair nets in preparation areas) and significant odor on servers is definitely one of these.

And that odor doesn't have to be body odor. I hate it when a server (or any restaurant staff) has on too much cologne. How much is too much? If I can smell it when you walk by my table, it's too much.

From the Maine Today review.
One note to our server: Try a quick shower and the judicious use of deodorant before beginning your shift.

Maybe the server was earning so little money he/she had come to work from just packing bait barrels down at the wharf. :smile:

Nick, When you get down here to get the lobsters I'll take you down to a wharf (boat ride or not) so you can experience the exquisite aroma of lobster bait. I doubt you'll forget it.

RP, I'll take lobster bait over cologne any day. That shit stinks. Of course that's what the uninitiated say about bait barrels.

Nick, When you get down here to get the lobsters I'll take you down to a wharf (boat ride or not) so you can experience the exquisite aroma of lobster bait. I doubt you'll forget it.

RP, I'll take lobster bait over cologne any day. That shit stinks. Of course that's what the uninitiated say about bait barrels.

Sounds like a deal.

I'll get Marge and Nick packed up in the Chevy, so get the water boiling for the lobsters. Marge gets a feature article, Nick gets the lobsters, and I get to smell lobster bait. :wub:

I still don't like the idea of an offensive smelling person serving me though. If I'm paying for ambiance, I should be the one to decide if the aroma is appropriate

rancho gordo

Don't forget health problems can cause issues with odor and hygiene. I'm talking from experience here. Issues such as these may even cause them to use cologne and perfumes to mask such issues. Which would really make it a Catch 22 issue for the offending person.

It's also the type of thing the majority of people who know they are having this type of problem cannot discuss with their employer/social worker out of embarassment.

Just another remote possibility that many would not consider. :wink:

Sounds like a deal.

I'll get Marge and Nick packed up in the Chevy, so get the water boiling for the lobsters. Marge gets a feature article, Nick gets the lobsters, and I get to smell lobster bait. :wub:

Sounds like an idea to me, but check with Nick first. He won the lobsters. :biggrin:See.

Could be interesting. Feature article on how lobsters are caught (boat ride), how they're weighed and graded, put over the side in crates, and finally loaded into a truck destined for.... Good photo spread. Whoever does the driving gets the best lobster. Sounds like a party to me. :smile:

You sure that Chevy will make it all the way down here?

Old Maine story... Fella comes to Maine from Texas and tells the Mainer, "My ranch is so big it takes me all day to drive around it." Mainer says, "Ayuh, I had a car just like that."

How things go in circles. I'm right now working on a winch for a fisherman from Gloucester. Paul Theriault (pronounced Terio) in case you came across him. He's a good fisherman.

You won't have to do any hauling to get your lobsters. Just have to kind of keep clear of what's going on and make sure you don't get tangled in the pot warp when the traps go back overboard. You drive, you get your pick. Not out of Nick's lobsters though. I think he's a little grumpy at me already.

Nick, when we get to scallop season I'll see that you get a couple samples (dive scallops and dragged scallops) and we'll go from there.

How things go in circles. I'm right now working on a winch for a fisherman from Gloucester. Paul Theriault (pronounced Terio) in case you came across him. He's a good fisherman.

You won't have to do any hauling to get your lobsters. Just have to kind of keep clear of what's going on and make sure you don't get tangled in the pot warp when the traps go back overboard. You drive, you get your pick. Not out of Nick's lobsters though. I think he's a little grumpy at me already.

Nick, when we get to scallop season I'll see that you get  a couple samples (dive scallops and dragged scallops) and we'll go from there.

Grumpy? Moi? With you? Uh uh.

Nick :smile: