• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simple Curried Sweet Potatoes

lovebenton0

Simple Curried Sweet Potatoes

This recipe is from the Cooking with/for Disabilities course in the eCGI

(Texture; hand dexterity; no cutting necessary; low sodium*; low fat**)

• 4 fresh sweet potatoes (not giants)
  • 1 c lite coconut milk
  • 1/2 c peanut butter (smooth works as well as crunchy; reduced fat is fine)
  • 1 tsp curry powder (mild for younger or sensitive palates/digestion; we like it hot)

Cook sweet potatoes until well done: bake @ 450 for one hour; OR boil for 35-45 minutes; OR pressure cook for 10-12 minutes.

Cool a bit and hand peel; peels will slip off quite easily.

Return to pot on medium low to medium heat. Pour in coconut milk. Stir/wisk to mash.

Add peanut butter of your choice and stir to blend.

Stir in curry to taste.

I do not add extra salt to my serving, but you may salt to taste.

You can serve as is or garnish with roasted pumpkin seeds or peanuts. (Remember to check sodium for the garnish, if that is an issue.)

*sodium approx 30 mg per serving

** fat approx 4 mg per serving

Keywords: eGCI, Healthy Choices, Side, Potatoes

( RG994 )

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite