• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tuscan Steak

tharrison

Tuscan Steak

Serves 4 as Main Dish.

This is one of my favorite ways to have steak. Feel free to use your favorite cut. My favorites are porterhouses and ribeyes.

I like to serve this with roasted asparagus when in season.

• 2 steaks of choice, preferably 1 - 1 1/2-inches thick
  • 1 lemons, sliced into wedges and seeded
  • 1/2 c Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
  • kosher salt or coarse sea salt, to taste
  • fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • favorite extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • 2 tsp vegetable oil, if pan frying

1. Remove steaks from the fridge about 15-30 minutes before cooking to remove chill and pat dry.

2. Preheat your grill on high for about 15 minutes. When preheated, reduce two burners to medium and leave the last on high.

Alternatively, heat a heavy pan (preferably cast iron) on medium heat for at least 10 minutes.

3. Sprinkle steaks with a even coating of salt and pepper (don't underseason but remember not to go overboard with the salt as the cheese is quite salty).

4. On hottest area of grill, cook steaks for about 2 minutes on each side then move to the cooler area and continue cooking for 6-7 more minutes for medium-rare.

If pan frying, place vegetable oil in hot pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Place the steaks in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Flip the steaks and cook 3-4 minutes more for medium-rare. Let rest a few minutes.

5. Slice rested steak into serving-sized pieces, sprinkle with the Parmigiano-Reggiano, drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, and serve immediately. Each person should squeeze lemon over steak to taste.

Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Beef, Dinner, Italian

( RG971 )

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA