• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gertude Davlin's Latke Cookies

Comfort Me

Gertude Davlin's Latke Cookies

Serves 7.

One of my grandmother's favorite recipes -- I wanted to keep her name on it instead of mine! A wonderful cookie for Chanukah or Christmas, these cookies are delicate and quite rich. Because they are fragile, they are not suitable for shipping.

Don't be worried by the absence of egg or liquid in the dough -- it will still hold together nicely. Yet another miracle of Chanukah!

• 1 lb Butter, at room temperature
  • 1 c Sugar
  • 2 c crushed potato chips, crushed between paper towels to absorb grease
  • 3 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Crush potato chips between layers of paper towels to absorb the excess grease.

3. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the potato chips and mix gently, but well. Gradually add flour and vanilla.

4. Roll a rounded teaspoon of dough into a ball and flatten by hand. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies should not brown.

5. Remove immediately to cooking rack. When slightly cooled, roll cookies in powdered sugar or dust the cookies with powdered sugar run through a sieve.

Note: Pecan meal is very good added to this recipe. If desired, add 3/4 cup finely-ground pecan meal when adding the potato chips.

( RG780 )

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"