• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kobe Beef Liver

DanielBlue

While Butchering a calv's liver today I thought about the treatment of the kobe/wagyu cows right before they are butchered. Typically the cows are fed with a mixture of sake and grains to fatten them up before slaughter. If anyone has ever tried this liver, does the beer flavor penetrate the liver of the animal and does it give a signifigant flavor change to the liver?

Thanks.

I have read many articles and stories that have all said the whole romantic notion of the cattle being combed and fed sake and grains is a load of bulls!@t...(get it). They are treated like any other free range cattle. With that said, and to answer your question...I doubt it. They are a nicely fat marbled breed, so perhaps the liver has more fat naturally. And depending on the diet, that fat can have a lot of flavor...and of course you can always add sake when cooking it.