• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine based classic cocktails

Joerg.Meyer

Dear all

I am currentyl in the need for your outstanding knowledge of classic drinks. I am invitetd to a kind of TV Show. The host is one of germans best known Master Sommeliers.

So we will talk about wine based classic cocktail. He likes me to serve him a NEW YORK sour / sour with a splash of claret boredeax red wine.

BUT ... it is also a little bit "Mastersommelier vs Bartender" - and I have to take care that the bartenders win this one !

So I am very thankful for every Detail you can get me about the History of a New York Sour and related drinks. I am also very thankfull for all advices for other classic wine based Cocktails.

Thank you all

Kind regards

Jörg Meyer

Joerg, there is some fairly detailed information on this in Dave Wondrich's book, "Imbibe!" If you don't have a copy, you should get one. :smile:

Damn ... i knew it ... my problem currentyl is: I am far away from Hamburg (and the Library) and I have to enter the "Ring" on wednesday Lunch time ... But It is a good "hint" ... So I will try to get to Hamburg on Monday and will study Imbibe...

Since it is summer you could try a

SUMMER NY SOUR

2.0 oz Gin (Tanqueray or Plymouth depending on how ginny you want it)

.75 oz Fresh Lemon Juice

1.0 oz Simple Syrup

1 Egg White

Top: Dry Rose

You can also throw a dash or two of Regan's #6

Cheers,

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Dear all

I am currentyl in the need for your outstanding knowledge of classic drinks. I am invitetd to a kind of TV Show. The host is one of germans best known Master Sommeliers.

So we will talk about wine based classic cocktail. He likes me to serve him a NEW YORK sour / sour  with a splash of claret boredeax red wine.

BUT ... it is also a little bit "Mastersommelier vs Bartender" - and I have to take care that the bartenders win this one !

So I am very thankful for every Detail you can get me about the History of a New York Sour and related drinks. I am also very thankfull for all advices for other classic wine based Cocktails.

Thank you all

Kind regards

Jörg Meyer

The drink, also known as a Continental or (I like this name) Claret Snap (Chicago, 1883), is a simple addition of a red wine float - not necessarily, or even often , claret - to a reasonably sweet sour. In chronological order, it would have been made with brandy, genever, Calvados, rye or rum. I myself would choose cognac or French brandy and a nice crisp red, perhaps a Grenache, added, as David mention, dasher-style (or even with an atomiser, why not, for purposes of aeration?)

I think making a NY Sour to try to impress a sommelier is kinda being set up for failure. The wine isn't the star of the show, and if you try to make it stand out you're probably going to have to abuse a very nice bottle of wine or compromise on the overall flavor of the cocktail. That said, you probably shouldn't over do it. Maybe even do something that down-plays the 'quality' of the wine involved. I've enjoyed a drink called the Cymbaline that took the classic gin sour (with Plymouth) and used a jasmine-infused white wine as the float. The jasmine played nicely with the botanicals in the gin.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with KD1191, in that I've never found NY sours to be particularly wine-forward in terms of flavor. Delicious, yes, but not a great way to point up the flavors of the wine used.

That said, you could try a spicy NY sour.

Blood On The Rocks

2 oz. bourbon

1 oz. lemon juice

.75 oz. simple syrup

dash demerara syrup

dash Angostura bitters

dash hot sauce

.75 oz. big red wine

Shake, strain into an ice-filled highball, float red wine on top.

For hot sauce, Tabasco will do in a pinch, but this would probably be worlds better with a spicy bitters similar to Alchemist's hellfire bitters. I guess I better get working on that....

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar