• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning advance work for a big picnic

MarkinHouston

Next weekend I am going to a high school reunion, and somehow I was cajoled to provide the food for the oicnic on Sunday. I will be leaving my home near Houston late Wednesday, and after a circuitous trip, arrive in western Kansas on Friday. I will have coolers, dry ice and/or regular ice as needed, and probably some cooking facilites although I don't know what equitment may be available. I am planning to make:

Spicy Pork Loins from Bruce Aidells Pork Cookbook that I currently plan to cook on a gas rotisserie Tuesday night

Chicken Salad Veronique from Ina Garten, probably with wraps or little dinner rolls

Orzo with Dried Apricots, Pistachios, Parsely and Green Onions with a crystallized ginger/sherry vinaigrette

Cheese Tortellini Pesto Salad

Vegetable tray with green goddess dip and basil aioli

Fresh fruit tray

I hope that doing the pork loins in advance will not be an issue, or do I need to freeze them and hold on dry ice until I can get to a freezer or refrigerator?

I think I should cook the chicken breasts in advance and leave whole until time to assemble the salad. Yea or nay?

I think I might have "assistants" to assemble both the orzo and tortellini salads on Saturday afternoon--they could be held in refrigerators until Sunday.

The veggie and fruit trays could be assembled Sunday morning.

I don't have experience doing this scale of picnic--probably 75-100 people--where I am not in my own litchen. Are there mistaken assumptions in my thinking, or better ways to handle the logistics, etc.? All advice is appreciated.

Are you the only food provider or will there be more food. If you give us an idea about the scope we can better assist you (oh brave one) :smile: I am a little worried about cooking the loins that far in advance because of the drying out factor.

Heidi, I am meeting some others on Thursday who might add to the food supply, but western Kansas is pretty much a wasteland for scavengering good victuals unless you seek something chicken-fried. The spicy pork loin recipe is actually from Ruhlman's Charcuterie page #89. Per his directions, I could just bake in a 350º oven which means I could do that on Saturday--I just have access to a rotisserie here. ( will not have time to smoke-roast the loins, so it is either rotisserie four days in advance or oven the day before.)

Garten's chicken salad calls for 2 whole breasts to serve four. I was thinking of increasing the recipe 6x to feed 24. The tortellini salad would involve four 20-oz packs of tortellini, and there is enough added to it--artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, olive, and fresh mozzarella--that there should be enough for 40-50 servings. I have four pound of dried orzo for the orzo salad. Unfortunately the only thing I can read on the package is the Anglicized nuttrition information and that the orzo takes about 18 minutes to cook. Is it possible to cook all four package at once? (I have 20-quart and a 12-quart stock pots.)

Assembling the crudite and fruit platters wil entail some basic knife work, but it is the minor part of the project.

Mark, I'd think you need to research what cooking facilities will be available.

And I'm with Heidi on planning to oven roast the pork the day before. I'd be leery of storing them on ice for several days, and if cooked then frozen, they will dry out.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Mark, I'd think you need to research what cooking facilities will be available.

Susan, I will have access to at least two kitchens, and I can assemble a few people to do a salad and the fruit/vegetable platters.

And I'm with Heidi on planning to oven roast the pork the day before.  I'd be leery of storing them on ice for several days, and if cooked then frozen, they will dry out.

I am now sold on going with the oven roasting versus the rotisserie. You are right; it is too long between initial cooking and serving. Question: I usually don't cook multiple packages of pasta at once. Can I three or four pounds of orzo at a time, and if so, how large a cooking vessel would I need? Same question for four 20-oz packages of tortellini. Thanks.

The common rule is 6 to 10 quarts of water per pound of pasta; for the orzo you could go for the lower amount.

If you're holding the pasta dressed, it might be wise to undercook it a bit to avoid sogginess...18 minutes for orzo sounds way too long!

Mark, You might want to consider brining the pork loins. (there's a recipe in 'The Chez Panise Cookbook" or on my blog) The advantage is that they're ready to cook after 48 hours of brining, stay moist and can have any spices you like added at the last minute. Because of the brining you only have to cook to 135 internal temp.

Much easier to handle as most of the work is done in advance.

Good answers, all. I think brining is a great idea, and I could start the brining process and then apply the seasonings the day before cooking. I am going back to the store which sold me the orzo, as the chef can translate the instructions for me.