• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Neopolitan pizza in San Francisco

kenneth patick

Tony's Pizza Napoletana is great! Owned by Tony Gemignani, who also runs a pizza school there. Hours for the restaurant aren't posted on the website, but I called and was told that it's closed Mon and Tues, open from noon until the crowd clears out (around midnight) on other nights. 4 distinct styles of pizzas are offered along with other goodies. The meatballs are the best deal in town. 6 juicy, golf size meatballs for $5.

Other favorite pizza places: Pizzeria Delfina, Pizza Nostra, A16 (focus is on Italian, not pizza, however, the pizzas are great)

Gialina also has good pizza, but I find their prices quite high, especially for a casual neighborhood joint.

Flour + Water is a newer joint that's quite popular. But I find their pizza to be just ok. A little soggy the time we ate there.

I've had great thin-crust wood-fired pizza at the Zuni Cafe. California toppings usually, not the classic Neapolitan pizza of tomato sauce and cheese.

I also like the pizza at the Arizmendi Bakery at 9th & Irving. Again, another non-traditional pizza with a great sourdough crust and California toppings.

But the place I know of with the great Neapolitan pizza is in the East Bay, Pizzaiolo.

http://www.pizzaiolooakland.com/

There's no sign on the place (really), and my friends and I might still be trolling down Telegraph Ave looking for it, but someone had the foresight to write down the address.

Oh yes, I like Tony's pizza too, and Tony's a wonderful person if you ever have the chance to meet him. Watching him spin that pizza dough is something else.