• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Scaler

Opty

Recently I was motivated to find a 'fish scaler' that would do better than a simple knife. My wife was preparing some fish that had been inadequately cleaned (bought at a warehouse store, not a fish monger or even a gourmet grocery) and I heard the frustration level slowly rising to 'non linear' proportions. As a caveat, my wife prefers to keep fish skin on, so scaling is more important than just cutting a filet. That's probably not a taste for everyone (and assume some are concerned for accumulations of things in the skin or fat by the skin)

I guess as expected there are not many choices from 'cooking' stores, but there are several from fishing shops. I read an amusing blurb from someone about attaching bottle caps to a stick as a 'field scaling' device, surprisingly there is actually a commercial version of such.

In any case, we ended up with "Big Norm's Magic Fish Scaler" which is not a bottlecap type, it has 19 floating heads for removing scales. We have generally used only on a few types of fish but my wife is a fan. Looks like relatively available for under $10. (Can see two of them from S. Tokunaga Store in Hawaii ). There are some electric ones, but seems to me like they would beat the heck out of the fish.

I haven't tried too many other types, I am slowly finding my appetite for fish after too many family vacations in Florida (Had fish for breakfast/lunch/dinner and inbetween -- the benefit when your father loves fishing)

As I mentioned years ago, a rubber spatula works like a charm (depending on the type of fish), and the scales won't scatter about. Some even suggest using a spoon and the cap of a plastic bottle.

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been considering getting one of these, which would suit fish that I'm likely to scale--

http://korin.com/Fine-Fish-Scaler?sc=7&category=36179

They also sell a coarse one for large fish.

This topic brings up all sorts of memories. My father was (and still is at near 80 years of age) an avid angler. The first photos of me past the normal baby photos show me holding a fishing rod like I meant business.

Given this background, I grew up using fish scalers and really can't think of not using them when cleaning fish. They were typically a handle attached to a round metal ring with corrugated/serrated teeth. Bigger than the beer bottle top mentioned above, but you get the idea. These scaled a fish extremely rapidly, without affecting the skin underneath.

My suggestion if you are looking for one is to go to a fishing store and ask them what they use. This should lead to your purchasing something cheap and very effective.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I have to second the rubber spatula idea...I've used the Korin type of scaler, and really, there are a variety of implements that will remove fish scales. That isn't the problem - I'm much more interested in what happens to the scales AFTER they leave the fish! (That is, I don't want to be peeling them off walls and ceiling if I can help it).

I have to second the rubber spatula idea...I've used the Korin type of scaler, and really, there are a variety of implements that will remove fish scales. That isn't the problem  - I'm much more interested in what happens to the scales AFTER they leave the fish! (That is, I don't want to be peeling them off walls and ceiling if I can help it).

Nor do you want to clean out a drain clogged with scales. I helped my b-i-l clean a couple five gallon buckets of tullibees and get them ready for smoking. He did a number on his washtub drain with all the scales.

A large spoon works pretty good. I generally skin the fillets so I do not own a dedicated scaling tool.

Most avid fisherman have a defined place for fish scaling. There is no way to assure yourself of a completely clean work area, its just the nature of the process.

Me, I just scale with the fillet knife I am using, works fine.-Dick

On the rare occasions that we have fish to scale, we do the task on our kitchen counter. But we start by taking out a clear plastic garbage bag, slide a big cutting board inside that, put the fish on the cutting board, and work inside the bag. It seems to contain the scaly mess pretty well. When we're done, we only need to take a paper towel and wipe the scales off the cutting board into the bag, drop the paper towel into the bag, and then toss the whole thing.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2