• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ice Wine Truffle

Kerry Beal

I can't make a decent ice wine truffle! As as matter of fact I've never tasted a decent ice wine truffle made by anyone. I've tasted lots of crummy ones.

I suspect it's simply that ice wine doesn't have enough body to stand up to the chocolate. I can make a lovely truffle using port or banyuls, it doesn't taste clearly of the wine - instead the wine just adds a certain richness to the center.

I've used Lior's suggestion of adding the wine to neutral glaze to make a center that accurately reflects the ice wine - however the shelf life is a significant issue.

So help me think outside the box here - how can I make a truffle that does the ice wine proud?

I've been going through a bit of brainstorming over the ganache thing lately trying to figure out what exactly defines it. I've done quite a bit of playing around with water-type ganaches using cocoa butter as the base instead of chocolate but I'm not entirely sure if that still technically counts as a ganache. It works nicely with fruit flavors but I haven't tried it with ice wine. I understand this is probably cost prohibitive to confectioners who have to do things in large quantities but it does allow for a clean flavor. Shelf life may very well be an issue though. Actually, I guess this is no help at all. :hmmm:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm pretty happy with ours - I've made poor ones - almost always due to inferior ice wine when the client has insisted that I use theirs (now I know to blend so I can still say that theirs is in it). I would love to make them a little stronger (currently 200 ml in a 1.9 kg batch gives about 1.5 ml per 14g truffle), but higher would not only be cost prohibitive, I would also be concerned about finished consistency/mouthfeel. I think Pillitteri (a market leader) is best flavour per $. Watch out for off-brands pedalling near ice wine as the real thing.

I am doing some new work this weekend with a Cab Franc Ice Wine for a couple of clients. CabFranc is a little more fruit forward and very chocolate-friendly, so I am hoping it will have more punch. Any thoughts on how best to extened shelf life. I will reduce cream and increase alcohol a little. I don't want to use preservative (like PotSorbate), but maybe some ascorbic acid (anti-oxidant) might help. Any other ideas? Have you ever tried with powdered whole milk instead of cream? That lower moisture content could work wonders.

Thanks.

It is in exchanging the gifts of the earth that you shall find abundance and be satisfied - Kahlil Gibran

art@chocolatefx.ca

I'm pretty happy with ours - I've made poor ones - almost always due to inferior ice wine when the client has insisted that I use theirs (now I know to blend so I can still say that theirs is in it).  I would love to make them a little stronger (currently 200 ml in a 1.9 kg batch gives about 1.5 ml per 14g truffle), but higher would not only be cost prohibitive, I would also be concerned about finished consistency/mouthfeel.  I think Pillitteri (a market leader) is best flavour per $.  Watch out for off-brands pedalling near ice wine as the real thing. 

I am doing some new work this weekend with a Cab Franc Ice Wine for a couple of clients.  CabFranc is a little more fruit forward and very chocolate-friendly, so I am hoping it will have more punch.  Any thoughts on how best to extened shelf life.  I will reduce cream and increase alcohol a little.  I don't want to use preservative (like PotSorbate), but maybe some ascorbic acid (anti-oxidant) might help.  Any other ideas?  Have you ever tried with powdered whole milk instead of cream?  That lower moisture content could work wonders.

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions Art. I'll grab some of the Pillitteri to experiment with. I think it's time to go back to square one and do a white, milk and a dark to compare. I think this will be a piped filling so I can go a little softer.

The cab franc will be fabulous with chocolate - especially dark I suspect - similar to a port. Add some glucose or invert sugar or even some sorbitol (Wybauw is doing that a lot these days) to decrease the available water for shelf life. Haven't tried powdered milk.

Oh, I should also tell you I tried some of the Eiswien extract from Amoretti - and found it gave a flavour similar to freesias - which wasn't quite what I was after.

Oh, I should also tell you I tried some of the Eiswien extract from Amoretti - and found it gave a flavour similar to freesias - which wasn't quite what I was after.

I've gotten a sample of Amoretti Eiswien - I never used it as the aroma didn't suggest a real ice wine characteristic. Besides I am dealing with wineries and winemakers - I want to remain true to the product.

I have added just a touch of alcohol before but again I don't want to destroy a flavour I am working so hard to preserve.

So, I think it is lab time: split into mini-batches of each method, control, milk pwder, invert, ascorbic and a franken-batch combining a little of each. I'll keep notes and do an ambient and refrigertated shelf life on each. The best performer(s) will go to an outside lab for micro analysis.

It is in exchanging the gifts of the earth that you shall find abundance and be satisfied - Kahlil Gibran

art@chocolatefx.ca