• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Francisco lunch: Sunday and weekdays

John Talbott

I went searching and found my prior question about Saturday lunch but nothing on non-high-end Sunday and weekday ones.

We are looking for:

(1) a place in SF Sunday that serves a regular menu-type lunch not brunch,

(2) another on a weekday where we can talk and catch up with distant relatives in the wine dodge and

(3) others on weekdays when ethnic and noisy are OK.

As always, with me, I'm interested in food not ambiance, not French, and hope to get out for $100 a couple (incl wine) just like here (although as Pierre45 keeps reminding us on the France Forum, Paris may indeed be the best food price-quality place there is).

Thanks in advance, esp all who helped last time and who support the France Forum.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Yank Sing for some of the best dim sum to be had.

Try Canteen for a lunch - that pricing should work...website.

Slanted Door for very good Vietnamese - I'm sure it will get slammed by some, but for the ambience, view and the food, it's hard to beat. The slamming probably comes due to its popularity.

A16 or Incanto...don't know if they're open for lunch.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Slanted Door for very good Vietnamese - I'm sure it will get slammed by some, but for the ambience, view and the food, it's hard to beat. The slamming probably comes due to its popularity.

Interesting point Mitch; in the other topic it got two slams. I've always found it to be inventive and good, even though I think I've eaten at three different locations.

John Talbott

John - are you looking for any specific types of cuisine? I know you said no French, but that leaves a lot of other cuisines.

Also, will you be able to travel to any neighborhood for lunch or will you already be in specific areas?

John - are you looking for any specific types of cuisine? I know you said no French, but that leaves a lot of other cuisines.
No, anything that's good.
Also, will you be able to travel to any neighborhood for lunch or will you already be in specific areas?

Well, after two lunches I have to be at the Moscone Center at 2 PM but I'm watching that topic too. No car, so public transport.

John Talbott

Here are some lunch places that I love:

Ike's Place - really great sandwiches. It's a casual place where you order at the counter, grab a table outside and food is brought to you when done.

Hard Knox Cafe - wonderful Southern food.

Katana-Ya - Japanese with good ramen and fresh sushi.

Mandalay - Southeast Asian/Burmese food. The tea leaf salad is wonderful, just like the home made version a family friend used to make.

South Food + Wine - Australian food. I haven't been there for lunch, but have enjoyed brunch and dinner there.

Takara - very good traditional Japanese food.

Shanghai House - very good Shanghainese food. There is a Shanghainese menu and an Americanized Chinese food menu. I've tried food on both menus and they were all very good. The salt and pepper pork knuckle is really, really good, but must be ordered in advance. One day in advance is standard but if you want it the day of, it can happen if they have at least a two hour notice.

Bocadillos - wonderful Spanish sandwiches and tapas.

Pizzeria Delfina - Neapolitan style pizzas.

Eiji - traditional Japanese. Made-to-order tofu is a specialty.

B44 - great tapas and paellas. I'm a huge fan of the Fideuà Negre (noodle paella).

Mi Lindo Yucatan (24th St.) - really good and authentic ( I was told by folks who have been there) Yucatecan/Mayan food.

Kingdom of Dumpling - great dumplings as well as Northern Chinese dishes.

Also a big fan of A16 and Incanto (unfortunately not open for lunch).

Interesting point Mitch; in the other topic it got two slams. I've always found it to be inventive and good, even though I think I've eaten at three different locations.

Not a place you want to go to if you want to have a conversation. WAY to loud.

About Yank Sing for dim sum. The Stevenson St location is smaller and more pleasant than the Rincon Center; also closer to the Moscone Center. The Rincon Center, which I avoid, can be very loud. The best dim sum come out hot and fresh from the kitchen at 12 Noon and 1PM. I suggest you make a reservation, and make it for either of those times. http://yanksing.com/locations/index.html

I wrote about some SF neighborhoods I liked in this old post, Post #3, on this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=95978&hl=

BTW, Zuni Cafe has garnered a couple negative reviews since I wrote that post. I haven't been there myself lately, so I can't say. Ebisu at 9th and Irving is closed for renovations until mid-May (check their website).

CUESA sponsors some foodie events in SF. Their seasonal suppers come within your budget. Perhaps something for you to do when you're here? http://www.cuesa.org/events/calendar/

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Edited by djyee100 (log)

If you're interested in something different, check out Dosa. Really interesting Southern Indian food and I hear the new downtown location has pretty nice ambiance as well. Check out the zillion varieties of dosas and the interesting cocktails.

If you're interested in something different, check out Dosa. Really interesting Southern Indian food and I hear the new downtown location has pretty nice ambiance as well. Check out the zillion varieties of dosas and the interesting cocktails.

The new location is on Fillmore and Post, not downtown. It is a beautiful building and great ambiance, yes. My favorite cocktail is the Curried Gimlet. They have over 25 kinds of gin and the cocktails are stunning.