• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Market Basket - worth the trip

dodge621

I have found Market Basket to be worth the ride (15-25 minutes) and the best place to shop for fresh fish and meat in Bergen County. http://www.marketbasket.com

Are there any other top stores comparable to Market Basket anywhere in North Jersey. I have enjoyed Whole Foods but I find Market Basket superior.

Also, what are the top specialty food stores in the North Jersey area?

Trader Joe's in Westwood is absolutely fantastic for high quality, unique, reasonable priced products;

Jerry's in Englewood for Cheese and prepared foods, but I wish Jerry would fix his ceiling-- when you look up it's disgusting!!

• 2 years later...

This past Saturday I had lunch with my parents at Charlie Browns on Hamburg Tpk in Wayne. I had the salad bar for $6.49. There was that fantastic bread with the raisins and nuts in it. The salad bar was nice and had chunks of ham, cheese, roast beef on top, some macaroni type salads and a bunch of different dressings to choose from. I was stuffed!

After that we went over to the Market Basket for the first time and we were really impressed. My mother works for a bank in the area and they often get catering from the Market Basket. The prepared food looked fantastic and I was salivating over a chicken casserole. My only complaint is that the labels on the prepared foods in the case didn't have instructions on how long to re-heat them. For that kitchen impaired like myself, that would of been nice.

We took home some onion rolls that were square and flat. Almost like an onion pocket. Boy that turkey sandwich I made tonight sure was good.

We found that prices were quite fair. The seafood and meats looked fantastic as well as the bakery items and produce. I also noticed they have their own brand of ice cream with some neat looking flavors.

If your in the area I suggest you check this place out. There is also a huge Hallmark store in the same plaza. It would be easy to get there from Wayne or 287 or Paramus I suppose.

I went to the Market Basket a couple of months ago and was pretty disappointed. I found most of their produce to be fairly ordinary and overpriced. The deli was standard Boar's Head cold cuts at higher prices than usual. Soups were interesting. All in all, I won't be making a special trip there.

The Maywood Marketplace in downtown Maywood has expanded their deli and have an extensive variety of homemade hot foods now, and at very reasonable prices. They also have good produce at very low prices. Also a terrific selection of cheeses and olives. A better choice than Market Basket, IMHO.

I frequently shop at the Market Basket and have never been dissapointed.

However, I must admit that I don't purchase from the deli counter so I cannot comment on quality, price, or uniqueness of those products.

The fish, meat, cheese, bakery, and produce departments have high-quality, fresh products. Staff is always courteous and eager to help.

I frequently shop at the Market Basket and have never been dissapointed. 

However, I must admit that I don't purchase from the deli counter so I cannot comment on quality, price, or uniqueness of those products. 

The fish, meat, cheese, bakery, and produce departments have high-quality, fresh products.  Staff is always courteous and eager to help.

I shop at the Market Basket every Sunday, I am one of those regulars for years. They have fabulous Butchers (all really friendly) and cuts of meat and seafood are extremely fresh. I have never had a bad purchase, and if you do, they honor it. The Butchers will season and butterfly legs of lambs, etc. The cheese Meister is always up on cheeses. I will say, that as a produce "gal" I am very picky and they need some help there, which I am directing the Produce manager in at The Market Basket. They have such a huge turnover of food, I find their package goods very fresh and dated for freshness.

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com