• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Mac Curry

Suvir Saran

Curry Mcflurry?

Clever Name! :smile:

Maybe one of those cutting edge pastry chefs has already used that, though and it would be expensive and difficult to procure it. How can I make it at home? Ideas? Or shall I simply handle a regular McFlurry with garlicky hands? That would give a savory touch... and I would have to worry little about recipes... what say you? :wink:

How would you present your Curried Big Mac?

A McLhasi,of course,and some pickles

That is great... Since Lassis can be appreciated savory... I can dab all the curry I want in it.. Impress the cutting edge foodies with my use of curry and serve something that actually would taste appropriate... what a great idea (I kill two birds in one)... Thanks Wingding!

What else??? :rolleyes:

Gram flour frites with a thin tomato chutney.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Isn't this an oxymoron?

I mean, aren't cows sacred according to Hinduism?  So a Big Mac curry is basically illogical.

SA

Quoting one of the greater minds I have read from on eGullet, our very own Steve Klc.

".....so much of food is freeing one's self from these impositions, these associations, from previously held perceptions and rigid beliefs in how things should be or are meant to be....."

It would certainly then not be illogical. Would it? Now I also have endorsement from a worthy chef and great writer. :wink:

I can make all the Big Mac Curry I want.. and no one can question my logic. :smile:

Just mix gram, water, salt to make a dough. Press it out into a baking pan. Let it rest. Slice it into appropriate frite shapes. Fry.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Suvir, as I've not eaten a Big Mac I am uncertain.

I suppose however that a ground beef curry with tomatoes and onions with a bit of paneer eaten with naan or paratha would address the essence of the thing.

Or one could put out a naan, spread the goo, lay another naan atop, more goo, another naan. Slice into portions for the double-decker thing.

Suvir, I believe you'll bring a "special sauce" to it. :raz:

I look forward to a complete description of the final product. I am especially interested in the "rice pudding" special sauce, since I am speculating that it might have no rice in it whatsoever, but will only hint at the idea of rice, or will be simply your interpretation of what rice ought to be. Everyone knows that it is beneath a chef of your considerable creative powers to actually call something what it really is. :wink:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Quoting one of the greater minds I have read from on eGullet, our very own Steve Klc.

".....so much of food is freeing one's self from these impositions, these associations, from previously held perceptions and rigid beliefs in how things should be or are meant to be....."

It would certainly then not be illogical.  Would it? Now I also have endorsement from a worthy chef and great writer.  :wink:

I can make all the Big Mac Curry I want.. and no one can question my logic. :smile:

um...I'm not questioning your right to make your beef curry. (A second aside is whether the burgers McD uses are 100% beef, but that's neither here nor there.) You can do whatever you want, who am I to stop you?

I was just pointing out that the idea of a BM curry is a little odd, and according to one tradition, somewhat illogical. This btw, is my opinion, and we all know what the value of one's own opinion holds in the marketplace of ideas.

Secondly, no assumptions were made about you, nor were attempts made to stop you from whatever you set out to do.

THANK YOU for assuming that that was my intention. (sarcasm alert)

SA

oh and btw, a BM is composed of the following ingredients:

buns with sesame seeds

lettuce

cheese

burgers

chopped onions

pickles

special sauce (which is basically Russian dressing, altho I'm sure McD's version contains more than just what Russian dressing entails)

this is as near as I can deconstruct a BM. of course I could be wrong. note that the order of ingredients does matter.

I'm posting this for the benefit of Jin, Suvir, and others who may have never experienced the BM "in all its shining glory". (in other words, imo, for a sandwich purported to be the cornerstone of McD's menu, its a pretty boring sandwich. I suppose the "special sauce" is their deconstruction of what ketchup is supposed to be like.)

SA

I look forward to a complete description of the final product. I am especially interested in the "rice pudding" special sauce, since I am speculating that it might have no rice in it whatsoever, but will only hint at the idea of rice, or will be simply your interpretation of what rice ought to be.  Everyone knows that it is beneath a chef of your considerable creative powers to actually call something what it really is.  :wink:

And what do I detect here kind member of eGullet? What are you implying under those sugary words???? :wink:

It would certainly then not be illogical.  Would it? Now I also have endorsement from a worthy chef and great writer.  :wink:

um...I'm not questioning your right to make your beef curry. (A second aside is whether the burgers McD uses are 100% beef, but that's neither here nor there.) You can do whatever you want, who am I to stop you?

I was just pointing out that the idea of a BM curry is a little odd, and according to one tradition, somewhat illogical. This btw, is my opinion, and we all know what the value of one's own opinion holds in the marketplace of ideas.

Secondly, no assumptions were made about you, nor were attempts made to stop you from whatever you set out to do.

THANK YOU for assuming that that was my intention. (sarcasm alert)

SA

SA,

If I have to be real here, your sensitivity is amazing. You caught what few would have caught to quickly. You amazed me with it. I was being facetious in now acknowledging your brilliance first thing.

I thank you for your kind post. Yes it would be an illogical thing for most Hindus and it would not cross their imagination to name anything they eat McAnything.

You are correct.

And from your posts around the site I know you respect every person and their opinion even if it is not similar to yours.

I am sorry.. Like you, I was trying to be humorous.. But wanted to give credit to you where due.

Thanks also for deconstructing a BM for me.

And what do I detect here kind member of eGullet?  What are you implying under those sugary words???? :wink:

My answer will depend on what you mean by "sugary." Are we referring to sucrose, the granulated white substance that most people call sugar? Or something else? Perhaps a concoction that, while bearing a step-relationship to sucrose, is actually the invention of one who does not feel constrained by the customary definition? The ease with which this practice is employed outweighs the confusion it causes. Surely.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.