• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red wine pate a fruit

confiseur

I am having a deal of dificulty making a red wine pate a fruit which ticks the box's taste and texturewise...

If anyone could recommend a recipe...either from a book or their own if willing to share would be much appreciated..

The basic recipe I use for a jelly that uses a liquid (such as wine) follows. You mix the pear puree with the sugar and pectin, boil for 3 minutes, add remaining sugar and glucose, boil until 112º C. Then add wine (warmed) and reboil to 107º C (75 brix).

Wine Pates de Fruit

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

250 grams pear puree

75 grams sugar

10 grams pectin

375 grams sugar

75 grams glucose

250 grams banyuls (or other liquid)

10 grams tartaric acid solution (50/50 water and tartaric acid)

10 grams banyuls (or other liquid)

Take pear to 112º C, then add wine, take to 107º C. Add tartaric and fresh banyuls.

Maybe this?

wine jelly

and I think this one although right now I haven't gone over it to check:

wine jelly again

Thank you Lior,

I forgot to specify, the wine jelly should be cuttable. I have tried a few variations on the recipe in the thread previously but was not entirely happy with the results.

My lack of experience, no doubt.

The basic recipe I use for a jelly that uses a liquid (such as wine) follows.  You mix the pear puree with the sugar and pectin, boil for 3 minutes, add remaining sugar and glucose, boil until 112º C.  Then add wine (warmed) and reboil to 107º C (75 brix). 

Wine Pates de Fruit

Amount  Measure      Ingredient -- Preparation Method

--------  ------------  --------------------------------

250      grams        pear puree

75      grams        sugar

10      grams        pectin

375      grams        sugar

75      grams        glucose

250      grams        banyuls (or other liquid)

10      grams        tartaric acid solution (50/50 water and tartaric acid)

10      grams        banyuls (or other liquid)

Take pear to 112º C, then add wine, take to 107º C.  Add tartaric and fresh banyuls.

Thank you Kerry,

I will try this. Good idea to use pear puree, I had thought to use redcurrant but pear will hopefully carry the flavour better.