• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey in chocolate

Lior

Hi Ilana,

I was just going through my Italy notes looking for something else and came across something Paul DeBondt had said about making 'honey cups'. Fill a chocolate cup with honey in the bottom. To top, combine dark chocolate with butter oil (ghee) to make a softer chocolate to bite into. He mentioned using 200g chocolate to 20g. butter oil - or clarified butter. He also mentioned that you could infuse the butter oil with flavourings before adding it to the chocolate. Keep at 40C and infuse overnight. That might be nice with your lemon thyme...

Have fun!

sounds very good. Does it get a thin enrobing? Thanks!!!

Nope. Honey poured into the cup with the soft chocolate poured on top. Take a look at Wybauw's book - Fine Chocolates 2 - great ganache... on pages 180 -181. I think they've filled some of the cups with honey. You can see how they're finished on pg. 181.

Take a look at this site Ilana:

http://www.noble-chocolates.com/intro.html

It'll show you what I mean by the look of the cups. They can be decorated however you like once the honey and chocolate is poured into the cup. In Wybauw's book, he has piped on top or used a fleck of gold leaf (that would be nice with honey...) Use whatever type of cup molds you have.

• 7 months later...

I just got a jar of wildflower honey to experiment with from a local beekeeper. They also have a blueberry and blackberry honey - ummmmmm (they move the hives to blueberry/blackberry fields when the flowers are in bloom. So cool!)

I'm wondering if there are any updates on the 'honey in chocolate' experiments before I begin...

I have done a few things.

1. made a caramel out of the honey-interesting, I liked it more than my client!

2. filled a choc cup with honey and then a layer of that sodt chocolate-client liked it a lot. If you try this I suggest a small shallow cup or it will be that throat burning sweet taste if there is too much honey.

3. Chocolate honey ganache from Greweling I think-good - beehive also

4. a combo- using a taller cup like in your link, I did a small layer of honey,topped with chopped nuts and then a layer of whipped gianduja-this was most popular!

Let me know your ideas/experiments!

I like the sounds of your last version Ilana. Greweling has a honey hazelnut recipe but it combines the 2. I think I'll try his and yours.

Did you have any trouble with the honey crystallizing when it was left as is in the recipe? I think you might be onto something with the invertase pringle077... good idea...