• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day

davidbdesilva

OK OK OK, before you say "Why are you going out on Valentine's Day at all?" know that I always avoid it like the plague. But my wife and I have a tradition over the past few years of coming to NYC (from Philadelphia) for Valentine's Day weekend and have been able to avoid VD proper in the past, this year it happens to fall on the Saturday we'll be there. Last year it was an incredible evening of Eleven Madison Park followed by Freddy Cole at Dizzy's. This year it must be cheaper.

We are staying at the Hotel Chandler in Murray Hill and seeing Esperanza Spalding at the Jazz Standard at 9:30. I need a good, moderate place to eat beforehand that WON'T be serving a pre-set, jacked-up, poor quality meal. I want opinions on the best combination of romance and food for no more than $200 (with wine). Wife's favorite cusine is New American but we enjoy ALL cuisines (usually steer away from Italian when we go out though).

I am thinking of places like: Little Owl, The Harrison, Raoul's, Savoy, Market Table, Mas, etc. but I am open to any and all suggestions. Will take a cab anywhere but The Village/SoHo/Tribeca/Murray Hill/LES would be nice. Thank you!!!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Those are all wonderful places, but none seem to be close to your show or hotel. The simplest and most obvious recommendation I could make would be Blue Smoke, Danny Meyer's bbq place. It's pretty good 'cue and Jazz Standard is in the basement.

The following choices are between your hotel and Jazz Standard:

One of my favorites in the neighborhood is Resto, a Belgian place on 29th & Park. Some find it loud, but I like the vibe and the food.

Primehouse is a very well-reviewed (haven't personally been there) steakhouse on 28th & Park.

Still close but not as close:

Gramercy Tavern 20th & Park

Sushi Samba

Hope those help,

Enjoy

OK OK OK, before you say "Why are you going out on Valentine's Day at all?" know that I always avoid it like the plague. But my wife and I have a tradition over the past few years of coming to NYC (from Philadelphia) for Valentine's Day weekend and have been able to avoid VD proper in the past, this year it happens to fall on the Saturday we'll be there. Last year it was an incredible evening of Eleven Madison Park followed by Freddy Cole at Dizzy's. This year it must be cheaper.

We are staying at the Hotel Chandler in Murray Hill and seeing Esperanza Spalding at the Jazz Standard at 9:30. I need a good, moderate place to eat beforehand that WON'T be serving a pre-set, jacked-up, poor quality meal. I want opinions on the best combination of romance and food for no more than $200 (with wine). Wife's favorite cusine is New American but we enjoy ALL cuisines (usually steer away from Italian when we go out though).

I am thinking of places like: Little Owl, The Harrison, Raoul's, Savoy, Market Table, Mas, etc. but I am open to any and all suggestions. Will take a cab anywhere but The Village/SoHo/Tribeca/Murray Hill/LES would be nice. Thank you!!!

Thanks for the recommendations but close to show/hotel isn't a necessity. I know eating at Blue Smoke would be the easiest but it doesn't fit the bill for a romantic place you'd eat on Valentine's Day while visiting NYC (in my opinion).

And from looking at their website, it doesn't seem like Grammercy Tavern can be done for $200 or under. Right now I'm leaning toward Little Owl or Savoy, both cozy and romantic with very good food and short cab rides from the hotel and show. But please do keep the opinions/recommendations coming!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."