• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding a job as a cook in the SF Bay area

wax311

Hi I didn't know exactly where to put this.

I'm moving to the Oakland area in a few days. Is there another source besides craigslist (a website, newspaper, ect.) where quality restaurants post their job openings?

In Boston, in addition to craigslist, there's a site called Bostonchefs.com, which has a job board that many good restaurants use. I was wondering if there is an equivalent in the San Francisco/Oakland area.

Thanks!

As Craigslist started here in the Bay Area, it is essentially the most prevalent advertising site in the area.

There are currently 120 positions listed when I searched for "cook" and 106 when I searched for "chef."

Good luck on your job-hunt!

Hi I didn't know exactly where to put this.

I'm moving to the Oakland area in a few days.  Is there another source besides craigslist (a website, newspaper, ect.) where quality restaurants post their job openings?

In Boston, in addition to craigslist, there's a site called Bostonchefs.com, which has a job board that many good restaurants use.  I was wondering if there is an equivalent in the San Francisco/Oakland area.

Thanks!

What kind of a position are you looking for? I am hiring right now. PM me if you want to talk

-preston

Other than looking for job postings, I highly reccommend that you target places you want to work and contact them. I know that many restaurants are hurting these days, but you never know when an opportunity may open up.

When I moved to SF in the mid 80's, I finagled an interview with Alice Waters. After a nice meeting, she reccommended me to one of her former staff, and within a few weeks, I was working at Square One.

Follow the ads, but also put yourself in front of people from whom you can learn. There's no shortage of those in the Bay area!

Good luck!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”