• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spritz Cookie That Improves with Maturity

tmriga

I know it may sound odd, but I am seeking a spritz cookie recipe which, the longer it sits, the better it gets. I had some from a bakery in Staten Island earlier this year. They were just average at first, but after two weeks of being stored, the buttery flavor really showed through.

This would be like the spritz cookies which are usually sold in Italian bakeries - not very sweet, with a pale golden color.

Has anyone experienced a cookie such as this? And would you have a recipe which you would be willing to share?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

Here's my Aunt Minnie's Spritz (Swedish style)

1 cup room temp butter

1 cup sugar

3 egg yolks

1 tsp. pure almond extract

2 1/2 cups flour

Decorations as desired: colored sugars, nonpareils, etc.

Cream butter and sugar; beat in egg yolks, almond, then flour. Place in cookie press and press cookies onto sheets. Decorate as desired. Bake at 350 for about 10 min, or edges are very faintly brown. Makes about 6 dozen.

These are delicious straight out of the oven, but improve with age - if you can manage to forget about them... :wink: