• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Worst Beer Ever Tasted

winodj

Worst beer ever: Cave Creek Chili Beer - However, with a shot of vodka in it it's not half bad.

A bottle of beer followed by a shot of vodka is not for the alcohol intolerant if you're planning on having more than one. I had my second semi-spectacular motorcycle crash after six rounds.

Nickn - Not followed by a shot of vodka - put the shot right in the beer. BTW, drinking and getting on a motorcycle seems to me like asking for trouble.

QUOTE (phaelon56 @ Oct 22 2002, 08:02 AM)

does anyone remember Gablinger's? It was the original "light" beer. My father drank it for several months one winter back in the late 60's or very early 70's when he was trying to lose weight.

Brother??

Nick

Nick - To what do your refer? I don't follow but since it was my mention of Gablinger's I'm most curious. It's probably irrelevant but my surname is O'Neill and the beer in question was purchased (or pilfered, depending on who was drinking it) in Syracuse NY. As a Salt City native I also remember (not so fondly) the many bottle of Genny Cream Ale that I consumed on a weekly special at my local watering hole. The 16 oz longnecks were known locally as "the green Monster" for good reason. I was horrified years later when Molson chose to push their brand in central NY state by promoting and pushing Molson Golden, another putrid, cream finish ale. A baffling decision, as the original Molson Export ale was quite the tasty brew (and it grossly undersold the tolerable but not so special Labatt's 50.... but I digress).

....but my surname is O'Neill...

Me too!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Foster's Lager. Terrible stuff, I don't know why people drink it, certainly nobody in Australia does.

Apparently the fosters in Engerland is nothing like the shit drink here.

Back home (Ireland), there was a shop own brand beer; Yellow Label Lager. Disgusting. Slightly cheaper than fosters. the Uni students in Maynooth used to buy it by the trolley load for parties. I had better parties; I went for the sparkling cider. A cheaper faster brand of pissed.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 2 weeks later...

Either Hue or 33. Both from Vietnam, one is o.k., the other is terrible. I can't remember which, so it's a crapshoot every time I go to a vietnamese restaurant.

Harpoon made (makes?) a Winter Ale that was flavored with a little pumpkin, cinnamon and clove. Very subtle. I really enjoyed it.

well I was gonna say Genny Cream Ale. noticed someone called it screamers. thats right but I had Crystal beer in Havana Cuba this year and hand's down the worts beer I've ever tasted. It was sweet and way too carbonated. nast , nasty stuff.

"Wow, there's nothing like bringing up painful beer memories. When I first visited Austin, TX, I was living in Seattle and was a tried and true beer snob. I'm in my hotel and along with my dinner, I ask for a "local" beer. Well, I recieved Shiner Bock and my critique was "I'd rather lick the sweat off a mule's scrotum that just climbed out of the Grand Canyon and died."

Awlful, awlful stuff, but for some reason people like to drink it down there. Probably because it's healthier than the local water."

Shiner is not that bad...plus the Spoetzl brewery(makers of shiner) happened to win more awards at the world beer cup than any seattle brewer...hmmmmmmm

:laugh:

world beer cup results

"Wow, there's nothing like bringing up painful beer memories. When I first visited Austin, TX, I was living in Seattle and was a tried and true beer snob. I'm in my hotel and along with my dinner, I ask for a "local" beer. Well, I recieved Shiner Bock and my critique was "I'd rather lick the sweat off a mule's scrotum that just climbed out of the Grand Canyon and died."

Awlful, awlful stuff, but for some reason people like to drink it down there. Probably because it's healthier than the local water."

Shiner is not that bad...plus the Spoetzl brewery(makers of shiner) happened to win more awards at the world beer cup than any seattle brewer...hmmmmmmm

:laugh:

world beer cup results

Which begs the question:

Do mules *have* scrotums?

Nick

this past weekend, some friends and i played beer pong with a czech smoked beer that i found to be pretty hideous. "smoked" and "drink" don't really go together in my book.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

this past weekend, some friends and i played beer pong with a czech smoked beer that i found to be pretty hideous. "smoked" and "drink" don't really go together in my book.

Do you recall the brand? Sounds bizarre but I'm wondering if it would go with BBQ?

Or was it just plain awful?

Worst beer ever: Cave Creek Chili Beer - However, with a shot of vodka in it it's not half bad.

Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. that got my vote too. a close second would be the english Nut Brown Ale I had when I was trying to work my way through the rather extensive beer/ale menu at cornwall's pub in boston. you got a card with all the beers listed on it, and each time you ordered one, the server would stamp it. i can't remember what you won if you got through the list--i think you were honored with a plaque on the wall. didn't make it, but had fun trying.

good times, good times.

Hauenstein.  Don't know if you can even get it anymore.  Tasted like week old open beer with cigarette butt thrown in for good measure.

Yuck.  The thought makes me want to hork.

whew, sounds pretty bad.

hey, i'm guessing hork = hurl? isn't there a theory that one indication of how important a thing (or activity) is to a particular culture is the number of words there are to describe it? :laugh:

Hand's down the worst beer to ever grace the planet is Milwaukee’s Best (I would hate to try their worst) a.k.a. the beast a.k.a. Frat boy fuel. Notabale runners up include Ortlieb's, coors light, and pretty much anyhting else that comes in a can.

Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

leffe.

belgian beer is SOOO overrated. plzen rules.

that's harsh judgement. I thought Leffe was excellent the couple times I've had it. If pilsners are your thing I can understand it but haven't you had something worse then Leffe, like Oranjeboom or something?