• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to go for Christmas lunch?

Lindacakes

Sat down with a blank calendar for December yesterday. Filled in the vacation days, the holidays, the parties, the day the tree needs to be up, the days to visit the parents, etc.

We got left with a lunch on a Sunday. For us, to celebrate Christmas together, my partner and I.

I'm thinking it's a different opportunity, something we never do. Lunch.

Any ideas on where to eat lunch, something special? Not stuffy, but opulent, maybe . . .

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Very, very, very few top restaurants do Sunday lunch. Even the few top-tier restaurants that are open midday Sunday (e.g., Aquavit) are typically doing brunch. One noteworthy exception is Bouley, which has long served lunch 7 days a week. Per Se and Momofuku Ko are also options, though tough to book.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you -- all of these are on the short list.

Although, it doesn't have to be what is considered a top tier restaurant, just a pleasureable one.

A follow-up:

To me, opulent can mean Rose of India on 6th Street. It has all those lights . . .

Decision to invest in caviar and champagne for the couch instead, and a good one, I think.