• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple butter recipes

gfron1

Over the weekend I came across an interesting pork chop recipe that used apple butter for a glaze.  I'd like to try making my own apple butter. There are a few nice sounding recipes to be found on the 'net, but I have no idea which might be good and which to avoid. Has anyone made apple butter and have you any suggestions to pass along?

... Shel

The biggest choice will be whether you want to cook the apples with cores and peels or not.

If you have a food mill or are willing to strain after initial cooking, you can just cut the apples up and start cooking. If you have an immersion blender or food processor, you can core the apples but leave the peels on and blend them in (I'd probably do this and use my immersion blender).

Or you can peel and core and just cook the fruit pulp, but you'll lose some of the thickening benefit of the pectin. 

Do you want to make just a small batch or a larger batch for canning that will be shelf stable? 

I'd go for a small batch for your initial attempt. Something like this one, which yields about 1.5 cups:

https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2018/10/small-batch-stovetop-apple-butter.html

You can also add other spices like nutmeg or allspice. 

https://www.eefkooktzo.nl/apple-butter-appel-boter/

Apple butter originated in Holland and Germany.  Here is one recipe. Translation of ingredients in order:

Apples, peeled and cored

Light brown sugar

Vanilla sugar

Cinnamon

Nutmeg

Ginger

Cloves

All spices are ground.  Eetlepel is tablespoon, theelepel is teaspoon.

Put everything in a slow cooker and cook for 10 hours on low, stirring every now and again.  Puree.  Put back in a pot and reduce to desired consistency.

I read some of the reviews and a few people thought the spicing was a bit heavy.  Someone suggested using half.  Personally I'm not a big fan of cloves so I'd reduce that for sure.  Anyways, I hope this is akin to what you're looking for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

https://www.eefkooktzo.nl/apple-butter-appel-boter/

Apple butter originated in Holland and Germany.  Here is one recipe. Translation of ingredients in order:

[...]

Thanks so much for the link and the translation.  For some reason, truly unknown to me, I thought the origins of apple butter were in England.

Since I've only had apple butter once, probably about 50 years ago, and never as a glaze of any sort, I really don't know what I'm looking for.  However, when I make apple sauce, I like to keep it simple, and never add sugar or flavorings with the sometimes exception of a touch of lemon juice.

I'll start simply with a small batch on the stovetop.  I don't own a slow cooker, although I understand that the Instant Pot can be used as one.  Maybe I'll look into that.

Anyway, thanks again.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

6 hours ago, FauxPas said:

The biggest choice will be whether you want to cook the apples with cores and peels or not.

If you have a food mill or are willing to strain after initial cooking, you can just cut the apples up and start cooking. If you have an immersion blender or food processor, you can core the apples but leave the peels on and blend them in (I'd probably do this and use my immersion blender).

Or you can peel and core and just cook the fruit pulp, but you'll lose some of the thickening benefit of the pectin. 

Do you want to make just a small batch or a larger batch for canning that will be shelf stable? 

I'd go for a small batch for your initial attempt. Something like this one, which yields about 1.5 cups:

https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2018/10/small-batch-stovetop-apple-butter.html

You can also add other spices like nutmeg or allspice. 

Thanks so much for your suggestions and info. I will start with a small batch on the stovetop, and keep it simple for the first batch.  The recipe you've linked to seems like it will be a good starting point.

• Like 1

... Shel

28 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

I will start with a small batch on the stovetop, and keep it simple for the first batch. 

If you did end up with extra apple butter, you can use it in cake or muffin recipes. Do a Google search for baking with apple butter or apple butter in cakes, etc. Or ask here for a recipe!  🙂

• Thanks 1