• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Salt

jvalentino

Hi All,

I'd like to make some chocolate salt and here's what I did-

4-5 parts kosher salt

1 part sugar

1 part cocoa powder (I only had unsweetened)

sprinke water

Mix all dry ingrdients together and sprinke w/ very little water to moisten. Mix til crumbly.

It is in a low oven right now to dry. The other thing I was thinking was maybe to spritz w/ oil (I'm trying to get everything to stick to the salt)

Any other ideas on how to create this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi All,

I'd like to make some chocolate salt and here's what I did-

4-5 parts kosher salt

1 part sugar

1 part cocoa powder (I only had unsweetened)

sprinke water

Mix all dry ingrdients together and sprinke w/ very little water to moisten. Mix til crumbly.

It is in a low oven right now to dry. The other thing I was thinking was maybe to spritz w/ oil (I'm trying to get everything to stick to the salt)

Any other ideas on how to create this?

Thanks,

Jeff

The only thing I can think of, is to try to make a simple syrup, perhaps with cocoa in it to flavor, and then strain it. Or maybe a chocolate liqueur instead of the cocoa. Or maybe just a chocolate liqueur on its own, if that flavor will work. Then try mixing it into the salt.

This is an intriguing idea. How to you plan to use it?

I made it that way with a splash of chocolate liquor and some Maury mas amiel.

I then put the slurry in a metal dish on top of the kitchen boiler for a month.

Then ground it in a coffee blender.

Served a sprinkle on top of a quenelle of Idea's in Food white chocolate & Greek Yoghurt Ice cream. The salt brought the sweetness of the ice cream down.

3044304558_64c39ed1dc.jpg

This is an intriguing idea.  How to you plan to use it?

I saw this blogpost- http://saltandchocolategirl.blogspot.com/ and being a flavored salt fan decided to try and make some.

Other than lots of sweet salty combos the 2 other things that popped in my head were- topped on guacamole (probably because of mole sauce) and on top of a piece of buttered baguette.