• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Questions from a new pastry chef:

LoneSavant

I've got a plan for a dessert to put on my menu next month, and it involves a side-shot of syllabub (or sub. eggnog, depending on reliability of recipe...). My problem is this: as the Pastry Chef, I'm not there for service, so whatever I make needs to be *relatively* easily (and quickly!) constructable by a *reasonably* well-trained line cook. Also, because they *barely* pay me, I don't come in every day. Therefore, anything I make MUST be storable for AT LEAST the weekend (3-4 days).

SO...I could use some ideas/information on a syllabub-like concoction which won't break over long storage (like a custard), won't deflate after an hour or so (like a true whipped-cream syllabub), and is totally delicious.

I've thought about using a stabilizer, but xanthan tends to make things slimy, and I've not much experience using many others than 'the basics'.

Worst case, I'll just do a really delicious milk-punch, topped with whipped cream-- but I'd love to hear some other ideas!

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

IMHO, Personally, I would just use xantham...the amount you need is so small nobody would notice any change, and it will hold for the 3-4 days you need without a problem.

Or try this from Wikipedia:

The general ingredients are whipped cream, whipped egg white (absent since the introduction of electric mixers), lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, nutmeg and an alcohol.[6]. Mrs Beeton (1861) gives two recipes.[7] One author's recipe says to mix the other ingredients together in a large bowl, "place the bowl under the cow, and milk it full."[8]

If you have a whipped cream stabilizer, you could use that, or keep it whipped and in the fridge w/o stabilizer (in my experience this can hold up 2-3 days not problem with no stabilizers), put it in a pastry bag, and have the cook pipe it out with a nice tip or something.

Jeffrey Stern

www.jeffreygstern.com

http://bit.ly/cKwUL4

http://destination-ecuador.net

cocoapodman at gmail dot com

Do you have an isi? Foam it. I used to make sabayon base - cooked like creme anglaise, stirring but not whipping - and keep it in quart containers ready to go into the canister. You may even be able to freeze the base, honestly I don't remember.

Do you have an isi?  Foam it.  I used to make sabayon base - cooked like creme anglaise, stirring but not whipping - and keep it in quart containers ready to go into the canister.  You may even be able to freeze the base, honestly I don't remember.

Pastrygirl: Now THAT's a cool idea! I do have an ISI, and LOVE making sabayon, but wrote it off completely as I'm not going to trust my babies in the hands of some college-student line cook. Any other info regarding how you did it? Or is it as simple as it sounds?

Marmalade: I'm leaning more and more toward using xanthan, at least as a trial. I'd assume I'd use approx the ration as to one would put in an ice cream base (about a teaspoon of gum for a quart, in my recipe). Would you use more or less, considering on the desired result of the product?

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

Do you have an isi?  Foam it.  I used to make sabayon base - cooked like creme anglaise, stirring but not whipping - and keep it in quart containers ready to go into the canister.  You may even be able to freeze the base, honestly I don't remember.

Pastrygirl: Now THAT's a cool idea! I do have an ISI, and LOVE making sabayon, but wrote it off completely as I'm not going to trust my babies in the hands of some college-student line cook. Any other info regarding how you did it? Or is it as simple as it sounds?

Thanks, I was pretty excited about it when I realized it would work. I used to always end up making sabayon in the middle of summer, and whipping it over a steaming bain when it's already 90F in the kitchen is not that fun. This method takes the pain out of the process.

Here's my recipe for cardamom sabayon. If you change the booze and spices and maybe more alcohol & less wine, I think it could be adapted to an eggnog foam. I've also done a variation with apple cider replacing some of the wine and a good dose of cognac.

22 egg yolks

18 oz sugar

1-1/2 tsp ground cardamom

4 c white wine

2 oz grand marnier

cream as needed

In a medium pot, whisk egg yolks, sugar, and cardamom to combine. Stir in wine and grand marnier. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a spatula. Do not whip, that's what the isi is for. Add cream to reach 3 quarts. Strain through fine mesh. Makes 3 quarts. Store in quart containers in the fridge up to a week or so. Charge with 2 NO2 per quart. Ignore everyone's whip-its jokes.

The eggs do not scramble, I don't know why, but it works.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)