• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Fish

alwang

Apparently Little Fish in Bella Vista was listed as one of Bon Appetit's best seafood restaurants:

http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/2008/12..._new_fish_house

I've never been: anyone know anything about this place?

I live close to the restaurant, but haven't been there in years...but, my roommate just celebrated his birthday there and said the food was fantastic.

Jennie Hatton

Profile PR

I have the best job ever :)

I've been there a few times the last couple of months. It's never been less than very good, and it occasionally is great.

One of the dishes this past Sunday was oddly underthought, though: swordfish, over white beans, topped with grapefruit; no seasoning that I could easily detect, beyond the probable salt and pepper, though I'm guessing there was something subtle. All the ingredients were very good, and well prepared - but I couldn't for the life of me find the point of combining them: I tried them together, I tried them in the various possible sequence.

Good fish.

Good beans.

Good grapefruit.

Meh.

On the other hand, the squash soup with crabmeat and bacon was a real success, and the arugula, beets, blue and oranges salad was the best rendition of this particular chestnut I've ever had.

As for "third best seafood restaurant in the land", sorry folks, but that list must be about something beyond absolute quality: I really like Littlefish, but le Bernardin doesn't even make it on the list? At a guess, they considered only new, and unusual-format, places.