• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate sheets or paper

Lior

hi. I had a request to make thin squares or sheets like a square of paper, but from chocolate. It can be plain chocolate, but also with nuts or such. I heard you pour chocolate onto an acetate sheet or guitar sheet, place another on top and then with a rolling pin flatten. Now I cannot find a soft rolling pin yet, not even from silicone. I am still looking for a paint roller. But how do I get nuts in it if it is so thin? Any suggestions? Anyone do this? I tried and it is not right. It came out like squares of bark and not great at all. maybe slivers of almonds?

Edited by Lior (log)

hi. I had a requwst to make thin squares or sheets like a square of paper, but from chocolate. It can be plain chocoalte, but also with nuts or such. I heard you pour chocolate onto an acetate sheet or guitar sheet, place another on top and then with a rolling pin flatten. Now I cannot find a soft rolling pin yet, not even from silicone. I am still looking for a paint roller. But how do I get nuts in it if it is so thin? Any suggestions? Anyone do this? I tried and it is not right. It came out like squares of bark and not great at all.

I wonder how almond flakes would work in allowing you to get thinner piece?

Yes that would be just right.  But how do I get a thin even shiny sheet? I really need to source guitar sheets-perhaps this is my problem. I used acetate A4 from the art supple store, but it didn't come out as I imagined

Not sure why the acetate shouldn't work. Instead of rolling, try putting the sheets together with the chocolate between and pick them up by the corners and flop them a bit.

chocolate paper - this is similar-kinda hard to see it! I like the flop method- but I need 4 hands!! :laugh:

oops it didn't come to the picture, so: click on the on the first picture on the upper right hand corner. Sorry! We read from right to left...

you shold get a cream colored roundish box containing similar products to what I want.

Edited by Lior (log)

Lior

if I am looking at the right picture I don't think thay had an acetate sheet on the top of the chocolate 'wafer'. I think there is too much texture on the surface for that. They must have been able to spread it very thin and fast. I think I would add extra cocoa butter to get a very fluid chocolate. I wonder if they took some sort of 1mm deep frame and squidged it across with a ruler.

It looks nice.

I've done something similar before. Like you said, chocolate on acetate, another acetate sheet on top and then use your chocolate scraper to spread the chocolate between the two sheets nice and thinly. Put a baking sheet or two on top to weigh it down and keep it flat as it contracts. I haven't seen it done with nuts before - usually with these wafers you want them as thin and shiny as possible and having nuts in them doesn't work so well.

Another alternative may be to use a tasting block mould (those thin 5g flat block moulds) which you could fill with chocolate and then press some sliced almonds into the back of . . . . just a thought

The ones I've done shiny on both sides I've broken into irregular chocolate shards - I usually infuse with a flavour and serve as an after-dinner chocolate with coffee. Something like this:

gallery_45604_6288_152509.jpg

If you wanted a perfect rectangular shape, you would need to score/cut when partially set. I have done this as well, but I think when you put your top acetate sheet on, it wont allow that side of the chocolate to go shiny (I think the chocolate actually needs to fully set on the acetate to go shiny). Also, you don't need to put in a sheet pan because you can just cut a straight edge to your flat chocolate (when partially set) and re-use scraps.

Edited to add image (hopefully)

Edited by gap (log)

That was just white chocolate left with roasted coffee beans in it for several hours (left in a warming cupboard but you could use a very low oven as well - somewhere around 45 degrees). Strain out the coffee beans and temper the chocolate on marble. Then flattened between acetate. Great for after dinner.

sounds great! I made thinnish squares over the weekendand added roasted toasted slivers of almonds. I toasted themin a bit of sugar and chipotle. I loved the taste, but still not entirely what I had envisioned. the top was a bit too coarse.

It was also for after dinner-with coffee. Gap, thank you so much. :rolleyes: