• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon wrapped roasted dates

birder53

A friend made a wonderful dish of roasted almond-stuffed dates on a piece of candied bacon. I'd like to make this for a friend's party but wonder if it will be tasty after 20 minutes in the car. I have a hot/cold cooler for the car that keeps things pretty warm. Maybe a bacon dish is not the way to go.

I saw quite a few raves about bacon wrapped parmesan stuffed roasted dates when I googled roasted dates and wondered how that might work. The advantage being that I wouldn'' have to assemble the dish when I get there since the bacon is already wrapped around the date. Just not sure that these are dishes that work best when served right after roasting. Since our host is also cooking for the party I really don't want to intrude and ask to use her oven.

Any thoughts here?

KathyM

I think 20 minutes won't be too much of a problem, especially if it stays warm. You are going to lose some crispiness in the bacon, but the candying will help it some. Plus, if it's a cocktail party or people are going to be grazing rather than eating right away, you'd lose crispiness anyway when the food sits.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I don't think you'd poison anyone.

But I simply don't know how well your candied confection might 'hold'.

However, if I was doing straight "Devils on Horseback" for later serving, I'd assemble and cook (undercook) the bacon well in advance, and refrigerate, arranged on trays so that, immediately before serving, those trays could be flashed under a grill or stuck into a hot oven for oooh, probably less than five minutes.

Try to disengage the prep from the presentation!

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I don't think you'd poison anyone.

But I simply don't know how well your candied confection might 'hold'.

However, if I was doing straight "Devils on Horseback" for later serving, I'd assemble and cook (undercook) the bacon well in advance, and refrigerate, arranged on trays so that, immediately before serving, those trays could be flashed under a grill or stuck into a hot oven for oooh, probably less than five minutes.

Try to disengage the prep from the presentation!

Well, I had to google "Devils on Horseback"! What a great name for a Halloween dish. Thanks for the suggestion for the advanced prep. I won't feel too guilty about asking for 5 minutes of the oven. This is not the best dish to bring to another location, but my husband has his heart set on it so I'll give it my best try.

KathyM