• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanjeongsik (full course Korean meal)

While most of our trip will consist of us partaking of cheap foods :biggrin: , I would like to have one nice hanjeongsik meal.

I don't want it to cost too much, no more than 60,000KRW per person (there are 5 of us) of course the cheaper the better..

So basically where can we go to get the biggest bang for our buck?

A couple questions in general

Is it Ok to take kids? (mine will be ages 8-12)

Can you order courses of different prices or does everyone at the table need to order the same one?

Are lunches cheaper? Should we plan on a lunch instead of a dinner?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

The only time I had hanjeongsik in Korea is in Gyeonju - but it wasn't stuffy or formal at all. I think eating without having your kids around is still a pretty new concept in Korea - most restaurants go out of their way to be accommodating to children. Posh places will often go as far to have a fully-equipped playroom off to the side! So I think your kids will be fine.

In my (admittedly light experience) with it, you don't order it - they dishes they have that day all come to the table. You eat what you like, and don't eat what you don't like. If you eat all of something, it gets refilled.

This is a picture of a small part of the table of the hansik I had in Gyeongju:

gallery_41378_2343_10546.jpg

i would recommend "dulpul" i last went a long time ago but it still seems to be quite alive and well. it was the best restaurant meal that i had in korea.

DULPUL (들풀)

dae hang no branch info

phone: 02-745-9383

서울시 종로구 명륜동 4가 71-7

(seoul, jong-no, myeong-ryun-dong, 4-ga 71-7)

map here: http://www.dulpul.co.kr/sub2/sub02.asp?sgubun=2

the daehangno menu is here with some pics and menu prices:

http://www.dulpul.co.kr/sub3/sub03_02.asp?sgubun=3

i remembered that we had the "dulpul jeongshik" and the current price is 25,000 won per person with a 2 person minimum order.

seems the prices range from 10,000 to 35,000 won per person, which should work for you. you may also order some items ala carte. i dont think everyone has to order the same thing but you need to meet the minimum number of people for some sets.

kids can def eat there AND you can get a private room which is cozy.

they really seem to care about each dish. it was all so so delicious. as long as they are in business i will go here each time we go to korea.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo