• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infusing cake layers with syrup

andiesenji

Earlier today I visited a baker friend and was fascinated by the method she used to infuse syrup into cake layers. I thought I would pass it along.

She did both a sheet cake and a 14 inch round that had been baked and chilled overnight.

She has perforated pans, both round and rectangular, which she placed on the cakes, pierced the cakes with a skewer through the holes, then poured the syrup into the pans and stuck the cakes back into the fridge.

The round one was slightly smaller than the cake, like the one

pictured here.

I thought this was a great idea as whenever I try to do this, I have syrup running down the sides of the cake and puddling around it. She said she has been using this technique for a year or so when someone gave her a perforated pizza pan for which she had no use in her home kitchen so took to to work.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm guessing you would place the perforated pans on top of something else to catch the drips? I can't imagine cleaning up sticky syrup that has dripped onto shelves or other products below the cakes would be much fun to clean up. :wacko:

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I'm guessing you would place the perforated pans on top of something else to catch the drips? I can't imagine cleaning up sticky syrup that has dripped onto shelves or other products below the cakes would be much fun to clean up.  :wacko:

The perforated pans are placed on TOP of the cake layer in which the syrup is to go.

The cakes are on trays or sheet pans to catch the drips.

The perforated pan keeps the syrup confined while it slowly drains into the cake itself.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Leila was soaking cake layers with thick, coconut syrup, not something that can be sprayed and it takes a while to soak down into the cake. She is working mostly alone and doesn't have time to keep going back and pouring small amounts onto the tops of the cakes so it won't drip off the sides.

I simply thought it was a brilliant idea and figured I would pass it along for anyone who might be in a similar situation.

Leila was soaking cake layers with thick, coconut syrup, not something that can be sprayed and it takes a while to soak down into the cake.  She is working mostly alone and doesn't have time to keep going back and pouring small amounts onto the tops of the cakes so it won't drip off the sides.

I simply thought it was a brilliant idea and figured I would pass it along for anyone who might be in a similar situation.

And it's a great idea as I said that's one way to do it. I'm glad it works so well for her. Thanks for sharing.

I cut the top of the cake off so it's open to the soaking. I did use the word squirt but my idea is not sprayed--you just turn the squirt bottle aka ketschup bottle with the pointy lid--turn it upside down and the liquid comes out, squirts/pours out the hole in the lid into the cake.

Edited by K8memphis (log)