• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

On 12/7/2019 at 2:47 PM, TdeV said:

I've just received my Instant Pot and have successfully steamed water. 😛

Now I'm thinking of doing some of the beans from the last Rancho Gordo club shipment in the Instant Pot.

Could I please have some instructions about how to long to cook them? Soak first, right?

And what to cook them with?

I do soak mine--over night  --sometimes quick soak- sometimes never /  I have pressure cooked alot of beans.  Beans your not familiar with,  I incremental cook them about every 15 mins.  till you get it correct with that type of bean..  IE  Royal coronas can take up to 45mins to an hr.  Yellow eyes may only take 15 mins after soak.  Just example.  I always soak my bean with some type of Miropix--I also add beyond bollion some time s too--or minimally garlic and onion..

FWI-- some beans  may not even take 15 mins  --   ( probably the bigger the bean the longer the cook / and if the beans are a bit older )

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

Now I'm thinking of doing some of the beans from the last Rancho Gordo club shipment in the Instant Pot.

Could I please have some instructions about how to long to cook them? Soak first, right?

I do soak mine--over night  --sometimes quick soak- sometimes never /  I have pressure cooked alot of beans.  Beans your not familiar with,  I incremental cook them about every 15 mins.  till you get it correct with that type of bean..  IE  Royal coronas can take up to 45mins to an hr.  Yellow eyes may only take 15 mins after soak.  Just example.  I always soak my bean with some type of Miropix--I also add beyond bollion some time s too--or minimally garlic and onion..

FWI-- some beans  may not even take 15 mins  -- 

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino

I do soak mine--over night  --sometimes quick soak- sometimes never /  I have pressure cooked alot of beans.  Beans your not familiar with,  I incremental cook them about every 15 mins.  till you get it correct with that type of bean..  IE  Royal coronas can take up to 45mins to an hr.  Yellow eyes may only take 15 mins after soak.  Just example.  I always soak my bean with some type of Miropix--I also add beyond bollion some time s too