• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Design a small home bar

Penwu

This is kinda similar to the ongoing thread on liquor cabinet organization, but distinct enough to get a new thread, I think.

I'm going to be building myself a house in the spring, and I'm to the point of drawing up finalized plans. It's going to be a small apartment-sized place, and I can only allocate 2-4 feet of counter space for my little home bar (plus space for lots of bottles nearby). I want to have a space well equipped for making all types of drinks, with space for all my bitters, tools, the day's citrus, glassware, and a handful of commonly used bottles. I won't be throwing any huge parties, but could need to serve three or four people at a time.

What elements would you make sure to have a in a small home bar like this? Would you want to have a small drain sink even if the kitchen sink is just a pace or two away? What type of storage systems would work best?

Edited by Penwu (log)

Not that it is small by any means but it is something I would love to think ... "one day"

Simon Difford's Cabinet Room

http://digital.diffordsguide.com/1/Home/En...binet_Room.html

Seriously though, having it be a wet bar is huge. I move everything I need from my cabinet to the kitchen to make drinks solely because of the sink. I have a relative that built a beautiful home with a great bar off the dining room. They did not put a sink in and have regretted it ever since.

Edited by syoung68 (log)