• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with a beef marinade

oli

I have these ingredients but no proportions and I was wondering if someone can tell me the proportions I should use.

hoisin sauce

sesame oil

sesame seed

red wine vinegar

Thanks

I have these ingredients but no proportions and I was wondering if someone can tell me the proportions I should use.

hoisin sauce

sesame oil

sesame seed

red wine vinegar

Thanks

In a marinade the proportions aren't critical. I'd go with something like 6 parts hoisin, 2 part sesame oil, 1 part vinegar.

Because this is an Asian-style marinade, I'd suggest rice vinegar, or rice wine, instead of red wine vinegar.

There's not much point including sesame seeds in the marinade as their flavour won't transfer (and you've got sesame oil for that anyway) but I'd be tempted to add some sliced garlic and ginger. And maybe a pinch of chili flakes.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Are you marinating a piece of beef for grilling? Where did you get this ingredient list? Seems odd combination to me for use as a marinade mainly because the Hoisin will burn real fast due to sugar content. If you must use them then I agree with HKD as far as proportions go.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I marinate beef for the grilling (BBQ) with sugar all the time (soy, ginger, garlic, green onion, sesame oil and lots of brown sugar), and have used hoisin without any burning problems. It just gets nice and caramelized.

• 3 weeks later...
Are you marinating a piece of beef for grilling?  Where did you get this ingredient list?  Seems odd combination to me for use as a marinade mainly because the Hoisin will burn real fast due to sugar content.  If you must use them then I agree with HKD as far as proportions go.

You know, I've had this recipe in my file for a while, as I am sure a lot of us have, and I don't recall where I got this from - perhaps Roy Yamaguchi.