• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Chilies & Powders for Blumenthal Chili

Dante

So I've been hot to do the Chili recipe from Heston Blumenthal's "Further Adventures In Search of Perfection" for a while now. I can get most of the ingredients at our local food Co-op but some of the chiles and chile powders remain elusive for me. While he does give resources, they're for UK-based companies and I live in the USA, so I was wondering if anyone out there knew of USA-based sources that would allow me to save a bit on shipping.

FTR, the chiles in question are:

pene de diablo

somalian extra hot

durango

el rey

madera

pecos red

rio tejas

long peppers

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dante

I'd say the long peppers are Balinese Long Peppers, which are a more intense and flavorful black pepper - somewhat oversimplified. Whole Foods in my area carries them, which is where I learned about them.

http://www.bigtreebali.com/wildcrafted_pepper.htm

I'll see if I can find out more about the other peppers. I'm curious too.

scb

... Shel