• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Octopi Suggestions

Ufimizm

I was at my local Asian food store and came across some frozen little octopi. Frozen they appear to be about the size of a baseball. I am looking for some tips to make them. I have found a lot of examples where 1 person love's thier technique but dislikes another, and the next person is the exact opposite. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

In general, there are two ways to treat octopus: slow braising or fast fry.

The easiest way, in my opinion, is to braise the octopus for about 2 hours (maybe less with small ones) then cook them the way you want (e.g. BBQ, yum!).

Grilled octopus salads are great during summer months!

I've only made octopus once and researched McGee's opinion on preperation. He suggested a quick blanch in water followed by a slow braise in a dry pan. The octopus will release a lot of liquid so it will braise in it's own juice.

After the octopus was tender I quickly grilled it for the grill flavor. Worked well.

Turn the octupus' head inside out to clean and then stuff the tentacles inside the head. Wrap in a muslin and poach in stock until tender. Put a weight on the octopus to compress. Allow to set overnight and slice like a terrine. Serve with favorite vinaigrette. The natural gelatine on the octopus' skin will keep it together. I don't know if it will work with frozen?

Edited by Fugu (log)