• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scott123

scott123

17 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Plain old slabs of steel work best if you're going for anything in the direction of Neapolitan pizza (and I no longer acknowledge the existence of any other kind. End rant.)

https://www.fornobravo.com/vera-pizza-napoletana/pizza-napoletana/

Cooking time: 60-90 seconds.

Broiler or no broiler, 60-90 second pizza isn't happening in a typical home oven- with or without steel.  If you're going to be a purist- and I applaud your zealotry ;) then you should be aware that there is no Neapolitan pizza 'direction.' Either you have an oven that can do 90 seconds or less, and, along with an unmalted flour, you make Neapolitan pizza, or, you don't have the right oven, and you work with the temperature you're able to reach and make other styles- with other flour. 

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but this whole Neapolitan pizza is whatever we feel like it is thing has got to be finally put to bed.  Reinhart was patient zero for most of the misinformation, but he's been penitent.  The Modernist team had very little idea what Neapoitan pizza was 7 years ago, and they missed the mark in Modernist Bread, but, I think they're finally beginning to grasp the cultural ramifications.

In Naples, and in Neapolitan pizzerias across the globe, less than 90 second pizza has been/is the norm.  You might find one or two 2 minute outliers, but, VPN membership or no VPN membership, Neapolitan has historically been prepared within tight parameters- and to continue to extravagantly paint outside these lines is a huge slap in the face to Neapolitan culture and history- and a disservice to great pizza  (Continuing rant indefinitely ;) )

scott123

scott123

17 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Plain old slabs of steel work best if you're going for anything in the direction of Neapolitan pizza (and I no longer acknowledge the existence of any other kind. End rant.)

Broiler or no broiler, 60-90 second pizza isn't happening in a typical home oven- with or without steel.  If you're going to be a purist- and I applaud your attempt at zealotry ;) then you should be aware that there is no Neapolitan pizza 'direction.' Either you have an oven that can do 90 seconds or less, and, along with an unmalted flour, you make Neapolitan pizza, or, you don't have the right oven, and you work with the temperature you're able to reach and make other styles- with other flour. 

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but this whole Neapolitan pizza is whatever we feel like it is thing has got to be finally put to bed.  Reinhart was patient zero for most of the misinformation, but he's been penitent.  The Modernist team had very little idea what Neapoitan pizza was 7 years ago, and they missed the mark in Modernist Bread, but, I think they're finally beginning to grasp the cultural ramifications.

In Naples, and in Neapolitan pizzerias across the globe, less than 90 second pizza has been/is the norm.  You might find one or two 2 minute outliers, but, VPN membership or no VPN membership, Neapolitan has historically been prepared within tight parameters- and to continue to extravagantly paint outside these lines is a huge slap in the face to Neapolitan culture and history- and a disservice to great pizza  (Continuing rant indefinitely ;) )

scott123

scott123

11 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Broiler or no broiler, 60-90 second pizza isn't happening in a typical home oven- with or without steel.  If you're going to be a purist- and I applaud your attempt at zealotry ;) then you should be aware that there is no Neapolitan pizza 'direction.' Either you have an oven that can do 90 seconds or less, and, along with an unmalted flour, you make Neapolitan pizza, or, you don't have the right oven, and you work with the temperature you're able to reach and make other styles- with other flour. 

In Naples, and in Neapolitan pizzerias across the globe, less than 90 second pizza has been/is the norm.  You might find one or two 2 minute outliers, but, VPN membership or no VPN membership, Neapolitan has historically been prepared within tight parameters- and to continue to extravagantly paint outside these lines is a huge middle finger to Neapolitan culture and history- and a disservice to great pizza  (Continuing rant indefinitely ;) )

scott123

scott123

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but this whole Neapolitan pizza is whatever we feel like it is thing has got to be finally put to bed.  Reinhart was patient zero for most of the misinformation, but he's been penitent.  The Modernist team had no idea what Neapoitan pizza was 7 years ago, and they missed the mark in Modernist Bread, but, I think they're finally beginning to grasp the cultural ramifications.

In Naples, and in Neapolitan pizzerias across the globe, less than 90 second pizza has been/is the norm.  You might find one or two 2 minute outliers, but, VPN membership or no VPN membership, Neapolitan has historically been prepared within tight parameters- and to continue to extravagantly paint outside these lines is a huge middle finger to Neapolitan culture and history- and a disservice to great pizza  (Continuing rant indefinitely ;) )

scott123

scott123

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but this whole Neapolitan pizza is whatever we feel like it is thing has got to be finally put to bed.  Reinhart is patient zero, but he's been penitent.  The Modernist team had no idea what Neapoitan pizza was 7 years ago, and they missed the mark in Modernist Bread, but, I think they're finally beginning to grasp the cultural ramifications.

scott123

scott123

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but this whole Neapolitan pizza is whatever we feel like it is thing has got to be finally put to bed.  Reinhart is patient zero, but he's been penitent.  The Modernist team had no clue what Neapoitan pizza was 7 years ago, and they missed the mark in Modernist Bread, but, I think they're finally beginning to grasp the cultural ramifications.

scott123

scott123

I'm not pointing the finger at you, but this whole Neapolitan pizza is whatever we feel like it is thing has got to be finally put to bed.  Reinhart is patient zero, but he's been penitent.  The Modernist team had no clue what Neapoitan pizza was 7 years ago, and they missed the mark in Modernist Bread, but, I think they're finally beginning to grasp the cultural ramifications.

In Naples, and in Neapolitan pizzerias across the globe, less than 90 second pizza has been/is the norm.  You might find one or two 2 minute outliers, but, VPN membership or no VPN membership, Neapolitan has historically been prepared within tight parameters- and to continue to extravagantly paint outside these lines is a huge middle finger to Neapolitan culture and history- and a disservice to great pizza  (Continue rant indefinitely ;) )

scott123

scott123

10 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Broiler or no broiler, 60-90 second pizza isn't happening in a typical home oven- with or without steel.  If you're going to be a purist- and I applaud your attempt at zealotry ;) then you should be fully aware that there is no Neapolitan pizza 'direction.' Either you have an oven that can do 90 seconds or less, and, along with an unmalted flour, you make Neapolitan pizza, or, you don't have the right oven, and you work with the temperature you're able to reach and make other styles- with other flour. 

In Naples, and in Neapolitan pizzerias across the globe, less than 90 second pizza has been/is the norm.  You might find one or two 2 minute outliers, but, VPN membership or no VPN membership, Neapolitan has historically been prepared within tight parameters- and to continue to extravagantly paint outside these lines is a huge middle finger to Neapolitan culture and history- and a disservice to great pizza  (Continue rant indefinitely ;) )