• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 Napkin Burger (burgers on Ninth Avenue)

WK2

Hope this hasn't been posted on before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything (I saw a mention in the Nice Matin topic)

I stopped by here for lunch today. Delicious, deeply flavorful burger, cooked exactly at the medium rare I requested, topped with caramelized onions, rosemary mayonnaise and comte cheese. A good burger bun as well - light and airy, well matched to the meat.

The fries, on the other hand, were a different story. Had I known, I would have brought my own from Mcdonald's. Broken nibbles of crunch. Of course, I ate them anyway, since I can't control myself around fries, but I didn't enjoy them. It's possible I got a bad batch.

Apart from the burgers (which also include tuna, lamb, and vegetable offerings), the menu includes, oddly, sushi rolls. At lunch, the servers were pushing them aggresively, but the last thing I want with my burger is sushi. Sushi, to me, is clean flavor. Burger isn't. The combination is a bit dissonant.

Pricing, at 13.95, is predictably high. On the other hand, I *did* bring half a burger home.

At lunch, the servers were pushing them aggresively, but the last thing I want with my burger is sushi.  Sushi, to me, is clean flavor.  Burger isn't.  The combination is a bit dissonant.

Sushi being pushed aggressively is, imo, a must to avoid...my guess is sushi will disappear from their menu altogether.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?