• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbook: The Turmeric Trail by Raghavan Iyer

BettyK

Suvir,

I love the Betty Crocker book. It is well written and lots of nice pictures. His recipes look quite authentic

with a few adaptations. What do you think? Haven't made too many dishes from it yet. I made the gulab jamun and the mint raita. Just took the book out. I really should try using this book more. My problem is availability of fresh herbs in my area. It is a real treat when i can buy fresh mint and cilantro.

Anyway, if you buy The Turmeric Trail, please let me know what you think.

Suvir,

I love the Betty Crocker book. It is well written and lots of nice pictures. His recipes look quite authentic

with a few adaptations. What do you think? Haven't made too many dishes from it yet. I made the gulab jamun and the mint raita. Just took the book out. I really should try using this book more. My problem is availability of fresh herbs in my area. It is a real treat when i can buy fresh mint and cilantro.

Anyway, if you buy The Turmeric Trail, please let me know what you think.

Yes the book seems very nice. I have not used it for some reason not known to me. I find the new books sitting in my shelves and only the very old ones from India ever become reference ones.

The book has many photographs. WHich can be both a good and bad thing. I am sure the editor spent time ensuring the pictures are true to recipe. For often, the photographs are far more attractive than the food will ever be, or even worse, photographs have ingredients in a recipe that do not exist in the recipe. So, being cynical, I am weary of photographs as being a window into the soul of a cookbook.

It was fascinating to me to see Betty Crocker and Indian food married like this. I was ecstatic and still am. What a great step in the correct direction.

I also like the idea of all foods being plated onto ceramic made by an American potter. What I would have personally liked to see what some of the non-fussy layout that we associate with western design. I think it would have made the book even more magical. It would have an Indian soul dressed in the garb of this land. But maybe I am just too exacting.

But anyways, that has nothing to do with the content or the recipes.

I will buy this new book and let you know.

Maybe others have already bought it or seen it... Any comments???

Suvir,

I live in the prairies.

What are the problem ingredients?

Hmm too many to mention. Maybe I should start with what IS available :biggrin:

OK, let's see...no eggplant, no long beans, no green beans, no fresh chilies, no karhi leaves, no okra,

no zucchini. I can go on and on. Forget about fropical fruits apart from the rare mango and avocado which are not even of good quality. My main problem is the lack of fresh herbs though.

Now, Suvir, are you going to accomodate for all this in your new cookbook? :laugh:

BettyK

Suvir,

I live in the prairies.

What are the problem ingredients?

Hmm too many to mention. Maybe I should start with what IS available :biggrin:

OK, let's see...no eggplant, no long beans, no green beans, no fresh chilies, no karhi leaves, no okra,

no zucchini. I can go on and on. Forget about fropical fruits apart from the rare mango and avocado which are not even of good quality. My main problem is the lack of fresh herbs though.

Now, Suvir, are you going to accomodate for all this in  your new cookbook?  :laugh:

BettyK

You could have curry leaves shipped to you from an Indian store or have dried ones sent your way through one of the online ethnic grocers.

Another option would be to get a Curry leaf plant shipped and you can grow it with relative ease. A great plant to have. Makes cooking a joy.

My coobook will give recipes that are relatively simple and will use ingredients that are available locally or through online or mail order stores.

There will be plenty of recipes that you can choose what vegetables to prepare.

I got curry leaves shipped from Foods of India in NYC.

Getting the actual growing plant is difficult, though.  I was told by a gardening company that it couldn't be done.  Anybody have leads?

Where do you live Frankj?

I was gifted my curry leaf plant from a friend in LA. I was able to bring it to NYC and it has been with me for over 6 years now.

I have it out in the summer, and in fact, brought it in just today. Now it will winter in and back out in the spring.

They are a treat to have.

I have been told that there are sites you can find on the internet that sell curry leaf plants and that they ship around the country.

Maybe you can do a google search?

I will try and get the url for the site as well.