• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pufin3

pufin3

Here's my interpretation of mashed potatoes. No added herbs/garlic. Just the flavor of potatoes.

Serves four-six

Wash and pat dry 6 large Russet potatoes.  

Poke the skins in a few places.

Into a 375 F oven. Bake them until soft. Turn off the oven.

Remove from the oven and using a oven mit to hold them slice them down the middle.

Using spoon scrap out all the flesh into a large bowl. I use a heavy glass bowl. Cover the bowl and put the cooked potatoes back in the turned off oven to keep warm.

Thin slice or chop two potato skins. Put them in a heavy pot and add 3 C of whole milk and 2 T of butter. Bring the milk/skins/butter just to a boil.

Take the HOT! bowl from the oven and using a sieve to catch the potato skins pour 2 C of the hot milk onto the potatoes. Keep 1 C to adjust for a creamy texture. If you find you have some milk left over it makes a delicious sauce base for 'creamed' vegetables. Use a masher to quickly mash the potatoes into a creamy texture. Season with S&P.

That's it.

The potatoes skins are where a lot of the potato flavor is stored, just like with any root vegetable. By simmering them in the milk the potato flavor is released.

pufin3

pufin3

Here's my interpretation of mashed potatoes. No added herbs/garlic. Just the flavor of potatoes.

Serves four-six

Wash and pat dry 6 large Russet potatoes.  

Poke the skins in a few places.

Into a 375 F oven. Bake them until soft. Turn off the oven.

Remove from the oven and using a oven mit to hold them slice them down the middle.

Using spoon scrap out all the flesh into a large bowl.I use a heavy glass bowl. Cover the bowl and put the cooked potatoes back in the turned off oven to keep warm.

Thin slice or chop two potato skins. Put them in a small pot and add 3 C of whole milk and 2 T of butter. Bring the milk/skins/butter just to a boil.

Take the HOT! bowl from the oven and using a sieve to catch the potato skins pour 2 C of the hot milk onto the potatoes. Ave 1 C to adjust for a creamy texture. If you find you have some milk left over it makes a delicious sauce base for 'creamed' vegetables. Use a masher to quickly mash the potatoes into a creamy texture. Season with S&P.

That's it.

The potatoes skins are where a lot of the potato flavor is stored, just like with any root vegetable. By simmering them in the milk the potato flavor is released.